pythagorean theorem proof

imonacomputer,

One of the ways an author captures my attention is by providing several proofs of the same theorem. Thanks to all those that do. Unfortunately, I think publishers eschew this as unnecessary or wasteful; one of the problems of balancing business with scholarship, I suppose. However, published by the Mathematical Association of America, there are the wonderful books Proofs Without Words and Proofs Without Words II, both by Roger Nelson. Each contain … just checking … six proofs (without words) of the Pythagorean theorem. Both are currently available and worth the time to look through, especially if you like geometry.

As for the ‘8 year-old’ question, I’m at a loss. IMHO, I’m inclined to believe zut is on the right track. If the Pythagorean theorem (PT) was proven recently, it was probably in response to the statement of the theorem. There’s a world of difference between proving the PT and discovering the PT, and the former, I’m fairly certain, would be within the capabilities of many prodigious eight-year-olds.

Sincerely,
Pies ‘R’ Squared

When I first read it, I had no idea what the OP was referring to. Today, however, I ran across the following, which I believe is quite possibly what the OP was referring to (it was on the front page of my local paper this morning, a Cox News Service article, so I’m surprised no one else has mentioned this today).

According to the article, in May of 1999 an Atlanta high school student, Josh Klehr, discovered a new geometrical result. He showed it to his teacher, Steve Sigur, and it was recently published in the American Mathematical Monthly and given the name the Klehr-Bliss Theorem (Bliss is another Atlanta area student who did some follow up work).

The description of the result in the paper is rather poor, but I believe I can figure out what it’s trying to say (I haven’t checked this work myself, so I can’t say positively I interpret it correctly).

OK, so a triangle has various points, or “centers”, associated with it. For example, all the altitudes of a triangle intersect in a certain point; all the bisectors of the angles of a triangle intersect in a certain point; the perpendicular bisectors of the sides intersect in a certain point; and so forth.

Klehr discovered a new such point. For background: Given a line with slope m, any line perpendicular to the given line has slope -1/m (negative reciprocal of the original slope). Klehr played around with lines with reciprocal slope (not negative). I’ll call these “reciprocal” lines. So, for a simple example, a reciprocal line to a line with slope 3/7 would have slope 7/3, of course.

So start with a triangle, and construct reciprocal lines to each of the three sides of the triangle (it’s not clear from the article where the lines should be constructed, but I tend to assume they mean “reciprocal bisectors” of the sides). These reciprocal lines will intersect in a single point, the new point Klehr found.

do you or anyone else know a web-site that has more than just the 34 proofs of the pythagorean theorem, because if u do it would help a lot, and i found 1 copy of the book that everyone is saying has 300+ proofs and it was made in 1927, but i haven’t gotten to look at it yet so i hope it’s the right one, thanx