Question about obtaining VISA for Naturalized Citizen

Hmmmm. If I were you, I’d a) call the airline and ask for their input; and b) call the Uzbek Embassy and see whether they require you to enter Uzbekistan on your Uzbek passport (I imagine if you use your U.S. passport, you would be considered to be entering as a U.S. citizen, and you’ll need a visa.). Though if the info posted above about not losing Uzbek citizenship on acquiring another citizenship is accurate, they may not even let you enter on your U.S. passport. I honestly don’t know how they will handle it.

Uzbekistan Embassy never pick up the phone. If Uzbekistan allowed dual citizenship, I wouldn’t even worry. I read that Uzbekistan does not allow dual citizenship somewhere online. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe it does. If I could skip getting Uzbek visa on my US passport and just use my Uzbek Passport, there would be less headaches you know.

For what it’s worth, the U.S. Embassy in Tashkent has the same info about Uzbekistan and dual nationality. Maybe you could actually get a response from them.

Ok I will try to contact US consulate (in Tashkent) on Tuesday.

I found out which countries allow/prohibit Dual Citizenship on this website http://www.uscitizenship.info/citizenship-library-dual.htm (Number 5) "Which Countries Allow/Prohibit Dual Citizenship? But I don’t see Uzbekistan on the list. What does it mean?

Countries Which Allow Dual Citizenship:
Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Cyprus, Egypt, El Salvador, Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Mexico, New Zealand, Pakistan*, Portugal, Serbia and Montenegro, South Africa*, Spain (only in certain cases), Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Tonga (only in certain cases), Turkey, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Samoa.

• Persons retain their former citizenship if they apply to retain it before taking out Australian citizenship.

Countries Which Prohibit Dual Citizenship:
Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Burma, Chile, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Fiji, Finland, Germany, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran*, Japan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Malaysia, Mauritius, Nepal, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zimbabwe.

• Iran does not recognize dual citizenship but continues to recognize its citizens as Iranian.
  • Note that Germany has recently amended its citizenship laws so that in some exceptional circumstances, dual citizenship is now allowed. Consult the German Foreign Office web site for details.
  • Also, India announced on 8 January 2002 that it will shortly change its law to allow dual citizenship for Indians settled outside India.

This information was taken from Attachments A and B of the Government’s June 2001 Discussion Paper with updates that we have become aware of since then. Please note however that laws may change in some countries and we cannot guarantee that this list is completely up to date."

Drifting off the topic I know but… what on earth does that last line mean?

If someone becomes an Australian citizen, I don’t see how you can “apply” (I think it means to Australia) to retain your former citizenship. That’s up to the former country to decide, not Australia. Even on the site, it’s not clear what the asterisk refers to.

Australia used to not allow dual citizenship, i.e., if an Australian citizen became a citizen of another country then they lost Australian citizenship. That stopped about ten years ago. I think Australia is now much the same as most other countries who don’t really care.

The countries marked with the asterisk that leads to that line include South Africa, so I suspect I know what it means because I went through that process. If I’m right it is claiming that South Africa (and the others that are asterisks) will allow you to retain South African citizenship upon taking up the citizenship of another nation, but you have to apply to retain this in advance.

I suspect the Australia reference is there because this is a cheap-ass, sort of scam-like website that lifted this information from somewhere else (maybe an Australian specific immigration site).

Oh … I see what you mean. It’s written from an Australian point of view. That makes sense as does your general conclusion about the site.

You don’t need a US passport to leave the US. I travel on a US passport and a Canadian Citizenship ID card. The first gets me into the US or any Caribbean country and the second back to Canada.