Question about refusing temp work

If you rule out receptionist jobs then yes, ANY temp agency will be less inclined to work with you these days. I’m sorry, but that’s reality. I understand - I HATE phones with a passion, always have. I also first worked for a temp agency as far back as 1983 and off and on since then (between permanent jobs), I have YEARS of experience working for temp agencies, and I don’t care WHAT you do, you have to be able and willing to answer phones.

Even after I got to the point with an agency where I was sent on assignments where I NEVER had to touch a phone I’d still be willing to take a short term receptionist job in a pinch to help the agency fill an order. (Usually around the Christmas holiday - not being a Christian I have always been willing willing to work Christian holidays, which has occasionally made me an asset to an employer).

Yes, it’s because you’re a women. Back when I started temping it was common for customers to specify they wanted a “pretty” woman for reception work. In fact, it wasn’t uncommon back then for them to specify a thin, young, WHITE woman for temp work, sometimes even “ordering” a particular hair color or bust size. The workers sent on assignment usually didn’t see that part of the order taking, by the way, but it did occur. It’s not even whether you’re good or not in some cases, sometimes it’s men wanting something pretty to leer at, or for their customers to leer at.

This has become less common (thankfully!) although as recently as three years ago I was told at one interview that, being over 30, I was too old to be a receptionist (I’m actually over 40, but didn’t want to mention that) and in another case I was told by a potential employer that if I’d get a breast enhancement he’d consider hiring me. Clearly, these people are not, actually, looking for phone skills. At least, it’s not the top of the list. And equally clearly these men (it’s always men) do NOT want a male receptionist.

Temp agencies get a LOT of orders for receptionists because it’s a shit job, especially as a temporary. It’s called paying your dues.

If you really can’t stand doing receptionist work then either seek out an agency that specializes in something else, or seek other work. If you MUST take receptionist work grit your teeth but when you call for more work say “While I am capable of working as a receptionist I’d REALLY like something else - what is available that doesn’t require phone work?” Will that always work? No. But it keeps reminding them you want to do something else

Ha. Ha- ha- ha. AH-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

You have OBVIOUSLY never worked as a receptionist!

No, it’s a difficult, shitty, often stressful job. I’m serious. You have NO idea how abusive people can be over the phone. It’s appalling. And you have to smile and be polite even when someone is saying something appalling to you or asking you if you like to fuck dobermans and how much do you charge for him to video tape you doing it. Aside from mere profanity and sexual solicitation, I’ve also had callers threaten violence (“I’m going to come down there and shoot everyone, starting with you, bitch!”) or threaten to sue me (“What? I’m just the temp!”). You get yelled at because, it being your first day on the job, you just don’t know that Charlie’s wife should NOT be put through because at 2 pm Charlie is in his office fucking the Mexican lady who scrubs the toilets, and Zeke Smith should NEVER be put through but take a message and discard it immediately and tell the OSHA inspectors the boss is on vacation and not expected back from lunch at 1 and all the other details you’re somehow supposed to magically know (and YES - I have had to deal with ALL of the above!) - for damn sure NO ONE will tell you these things but you’re supposed to be a mind reader. And if you don’t know them you’re lucky if all you’re called is just “stupid”. And don’t bother attempting to defend yourself - no one likes an uppity cunt receptionist, just admit you’re hopelessly incompetent, you’re a terrible human being, apologize profusely, promise never to do it again, and brace yourself because this all repeats in a half an hour.

On top of that, I’ve worked places where you’ve got 10 lines, you are NEVER to let a line ring more than once, and NEVER to put anyone on hold to answer another line. I’ve been expected to sit at a desk for 8 hours with NO BATHROOM BREAK, much less lunch, despite the labor laws that violates. You are expected to remember and pronounce everyone’s name perfectly, and spell it correctly without asking how to spell it every time. You are expected to make every who calls deliriously happy yet you have no authority to do anything, even pee without express permission from your supervisor.

Then there are the reception jobs where you aren’t busy. You are supposed to sit at a desk for 8 hours ready to instantly answer the phone… and it never rings. You are NOT allowed to do anything else while waiting for the phone. You are not to read, fidget, look out the window, anything other than wait, all perky-looking, for that goddamned phone to ring.

Now - not ALL receptionist jobs are that bad. But a lot of them are. Particularly, a lot of them you get as a temp are, because clearly no one is going to put up with that shit permanently. I can’t count the number of times such sadists have lamented that they can’t get anyone to stay in their receptionist job, and they just don’t understand because OBVIOUSLY that is such a stress-free and easy job to do. Well, yes, answering the phone is easy, a toddler can do it, it’s all the other shit that makes the job such a hellish experience.

On top of that - it’s “women’s work” and thus gets no respect. Way back in the stone age (up until around 1975) you might get at least polite respect if you were, say, a college student trying to get an education or a young mother working part time or something of the sort because a lot of jobs weren’t open to women and so it wasn’t considered too unusual for a smart, talented woman to work as a receptionist because it was a job that was open to women. Now, though - if you’re behind the front desk answering the phone it’s assumed you’re TOO STUPID to be doing anything else, something more “meaningful” or important. Because, you know, if you were a competent woman you’d be a manager or something and not trading on your looks and youth for an “easy” job just coasting by.

Oh - and if the receptionist is male a lot of people assume he’s gay. I’m not sure why, maybe because it’s traditionally “woman’s work” and in the back of their heads they assume a “real man” would never take such work.

Not only that - but I’ve temped at companies that NEVER hire a permanent receptionist, they rely on the agencies to supply them one. These are usually some of the worst places to work.

God, I HATE receptionist work. And I hate answering the goddamned phone. Really, I loved it when e-mail showed up. Don’t get me wrong - I’ve cultivated excellent phone skills, if you’re on the other end of the phone you will NEVER know how much I loathe the telephone (I once admitted to a senior VP of Blue Cross Blue Shield that I HATED using the phone. He said “Really? But you’re so good at it - so professional and polite.” Well, yeah, it’s a useful job skill but just because I’m good at it doesn’t mean I like it. I’m good at wiping my ass, too, but that doesn’t mean I seek out more opportunities to do it than necessary)

Another aspect of temping and temp agencies is that a lot of them have different divisions for different temp work. I believe Robert Half has Accountemps and Office Team so avoid Office team because they place Admins. Also, do you have to worry about qualifying for unemployment if you refuse an assignment? I know Kforce has a policy that if you don’t accept an assignment and/or don’t call in to check on assignments, they will mess up your unemployment. I’m probably not the best advice giver considering that I walked off an assignment back in 2008 because the job description I got from the agency was a complete lie. I’ve had good experiences with Ajilon and Robert Half. Kforce and PSG are evil.

Two things to keep in mind -
[ol][li]Beggars can’t be choosers, and [/li][li]No one in the business world gives two toots on a tin trumpet about your problems - we just need someone to fill in while the regular secretary is on vacation. If you can do that, great. If not, we want to talk to someone else.[/ol]It’s great that you can do statistics and stuff. It would be better if you could answer the phone and do statistics and stuff.[/li]
Regards,
Shodan

Two things for Shodan to keep in mind:

1. “Secretary” (or Administrative/Executive Assistant, for those of us who have learned new words since the 70s) is not the same job as “receptionist”.

2. Nobody mans the front desk AND does statistics.

It is at this company.

I was talking about her ability to get work - being able to answer phones and being able to do statistics is better because you can get phone jobs as well as statistics jobs.

Regards,
Shodan

Accountemps is the only temp agency that has threatened to sue me over leaving an assignment (I got a job offer for three times the money - so long, suckers!). When I stood up to them and told them temping was at-will employment and they could fire me for any or no reason, so I could leave an assignment the same way, they backed down. If I had been a new temp, they might have bullied me into giving up what turned out to be a really lucrative two year contract.

gallows fodder, I think what you’re seeing here is different situations in different places. I’ve done temp work on and off for 14 years without doing reception work; I would never have a day of unemployment if I could stand answering phones, but there are still plenty of assignments that aren’t reception (I usually work in accounting). No doubt, you’ll get placed quicker with reception; if you can hold out, I think you should. It wouldn’t hurt to take a couple of accounting classes, either - that’s basically my out.

You could be my wife talking about her days as a receptionist. She could go to the bathroom, but she had to ask permission first and have someone spell her, so woe to you if the office manager has it in for you. My pregnant wife often had to wait over an hour before the office manager could find someone to sit at the front desk for five minutes. She was ultimately fired for going to the bathroom without permission after waiting for 30 minutes.

Boy, the crap you take when you’re too young to know better.

This reminded me of a temp job I did a few years back, for a local company…I have a lot of experience answering multi-line phones, but I was completely stressed out over this assignment.

The name of the company was/is Schnitzer (a very “important” company and family here) and I got this mental block which caused me to become paralyzed whenever the phone rang (more or less constantly) and I would have to answer…just KNEW I was going to say “Shitzer” :eek::smiley: (That combination of letters is not one that comes easily for me…good thing I’m not German, huh?)

Was totally ridiculous, and I knew it but it didn’t prevent me from almost hyperventilating and stumbling over the name several times! I used to practice saying it and STILL lock up in the moment. :smack::smack:

ANYwoo, on the refusing temp jobs thing, I’ve never had much of a problem with the agency I am with (Adecco). They are pretty good about only offering me things in line with my level and preferred rate of pay (which usually doesn’t include receptionist work, though I did one such gig last yr. for a private bank which also involved processing deposits, handling money and sensitive info and required a good security clearance and past experience with those sort of things, which I have, so they called me).

I have turned down several assignments for various reasons (schedule, pay, type of work, etc…) and it’s never seemed to influence my future prospects.

Another vote for find a good agency and rep. willing and able to accomodate you. And also, consider taking a few assignments which are less than your ideal…you still get paid, may make valuable contacts and it sends the message that you are flexible.

It’d be very helpful if you defined exactly what you excelled at, and where your interests lie, in the interview as opposed to ruling out things you DIDN’T want to do.

For instance, if you excel at creating kick-ass spreadsheets, then stress that in your interview. “I’m proficient in Excel. I’m especially good at creating spreadsheets, including pivot tables.” Then you will come to mind immediately when a job that lists strong Excel skills as a prerequisite.

If you have an interest in a particular field, say that. “My preference is the legal field as I find that work fascinating.” That kind of thing is easily recallable when the counselor gets a phone call from a law firm asking for help.

If you’re excellent at data entry, then say that. “I’m a very quick typist and am excellent at managing databases. I really enjoyed my last data entry assignment.”

“I’m very willing to do manual labor jobs, including shipping and working in warehouses. In fact, that is my preference vs. sitting in an office.”

If you don’t have any true marketable skills outside of data entry, then use the firms’ training programs, if provided, to further your job skill set. Or take some classes at your local trade school in order to make yourself more marketable.

I’ve always found that you should take the first job the temp agency offers. Then once they see that you’re reliable and get good feedback for you they will be more willing to offer you the better assignments. If you refuse that first job, however, they probably won’t offer the better one to you.

I’ve been shouted at once as a receptionist. I forwarded a call to him when he was in a meeting! Gasp, shock! It was enough for him to really get irate, red faced, spewing, questioning my intelligence and ancestry, etc. This was my first day.

I just listened to it, didn’t turn a hair. I think he expected me to cry. Then after calling me a name he turned and went back to his office. I shrugged and went back to answering phones.

A few hours later he apologised. I said “Oh, right,” shrugged and went home.

The temp agency called and said they didn’t want me to come back – I think he was embarrassed about losing it so badly. They at least paid me.

That was the worst I’ve had to put up with. People stop screaming at you when you just show them you don’t care and it doesn’t bother you. But they do feel like they have the right when you’re only a temp and only a receptionist. It’s a really awful job.

I did this when I was pregnant and once left the front desk of a busy newpaper at a full gallop as I was going to throw up.

The last temp job I took was data-entry (which I hated) and they sat me on a backless stool for the eight hours at seven months pregnant. I came home that night almost not able to walk and in tears. I called in and quit, that was enough.

Jesus, I would have cried if I had been in your shoes. This is precisely what I’m trying to avoid – I’m done with jobs where you are the hapless target for strangers’ temper tantrums. Just stick me in a back room with a computer and data to enter and I’m all set. I don’t even need a window.

PunditLisa, that’s a good approach you’re suggesting – I’ll do that. I also like DianaG’s mentality of, “Well, I’m not an engineer and you wouldn’t send me to do an engineer’s job, so…” I’ll focus my interview on my experience with maintaining and organizing information.

You reminded me of one - I was once reprimanded by a law partner that I forwarded a call to him when his door was shut…which I could not see from my desk. I said I was happy to follow that reg - as long as he told me when he was shutting his door.

Everyone gasped with shock that I didn’t just cower in fear. Then they offered me a permanent job and tried to schedule around my child care needs.

It was nothing compared to the job I had where I sat less than two feet away from the woman who was supervising me. I couldn’t sneeze without her noting that I wasn’t working. We actually did rub elbows at times. I couldn’t leave that job fast enough – walked out one day when she read me the riot act about answering the phone in too informal of a tone.

Personally I would rather be yelled at once a day than do data entry! shudder

Well, no. Data entry jobs have mostly disappeared – that work has been shifted onto the customers now.

Think about it.

It used to be that every time you used a credit card, they ran it through an embossing machine which put the card number onto several copies & carbons. Then those were sent off to the credit card company, and people went through all of them and data entered the info. Now the customer swipes the card through a reader, and the mag stripe on the back does the data entry automatically, instantaneously.

I used to order things from catalogs, by filling out an order form and mailing it to them. Then their data entry people keyed in all the info from my order. Now I order online (sometimes from the same companies) and I do all the data entry for my order myself, online.

I used to get comment cards from restaurants & other businesses, which I filled out and mailed to them. Then someone entered that data into their system. Now those cards have me go to a website or a phone number, where I do the data entry myself by keying it or pressing buttons on the phone.

So most data entry is now done by the customer – those jobs have largely disappeared.

I’ve had one assignment at a lawyerin’ place - there was no yelling, but there was…nastiness directed towards me. Legal offices are just about bottom of my list of places to work - they seem to have no concept of treating staff with decency.

I’ve had jobs like that, too - at my last job, where my supervisor gave me a really hard time for quitting, she was right across the hallway and watched everything I did, all day, every day. It was about two hours after I started working there before I was hiding stuff I was doing from her (“Don’t make a spreadsheet to do employee expenses quicker and easier! Why are you doing that? What are you doing now? Why is that file on your desk? Why did you staple this 1/4 inch from the top instead of 1/2 an inch?”) She was nuts.