Question about The Artist Formerly Known As Prince

But were those standard symbols that were in use or a one-off custom symbol that had never been seen before?

I don’t know if it was before using *“The artist formerly know as…” *moniker but soon after he changed it when MTV News did a story referring to him they would flash the symbol on the screen and play a short audio cue of a loud clanking metallic sound.

More of a windchime effect, as I recall.

Obligatory Simpsons Reference: It was 1984. The Artist Formerly Known as Prince was currently known as Prince.

In the Eminem song “Without Me”, the lyric “ever since Prince turned himself into a symbol” is followed by a metallic ringing that reminds me of a sword being drawn. :eek::stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s a randomly picked ticket from google imaging* ticketmaster ticket*

looks more or less like every ticket I’ve ever gotten via ticketmaster. Also looks incredibly basic and as if, indeed, there would be no way to get bizarre symbols not in the ascii character set on it.

Also, it’s from 2007.

So there is something totally ridiculous here, but it’s what you think they could have done in 1993.

I remember that at the time, the BBC called him “Symbol”

The new name provided for the nice anagram “no first-rate workmanship recently”, found by the Anagram Genius guy.

They got better apparently.

I always suspected that he stole the symbol from Dr. Seuss’s additional lettersfrom On Beyond Zebra.

Nitpick: That’s not a Ticketmaster ticket.
I used to work for Ticketmaster, around the time mentioned. Their ticket printers were old dot-matrix printers, designed in the interest of speed and reliability instead of beauty. I’d imagine you could load a custom font on them, but I doubt Ticketmaster would do it for anyone.