Question about "Titanic" and steering a ship

That’s probably the literal command, but it looks as though they would mean the same thing. cf. aport, astern, abaft.

I think somebody mentioned it upthread, but it was an archaic command meaning move the tiller towards the starboard side so the ship would go to port. It carried over into the era where wheels replaced tillers. A Google search of “hard a starboard” turned up some links.

And then I see this article today: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100922/lf_nm_life/us_britain_titanic_book

It was cheaper. Building them full height would have taken more time, required more material, and added extra weight (which would slow the ship down for the rest of her lifetime). They already exceeded the requirements. Just like adding enough lifeboats for everyone on board – that would have cost more money (and messed up the promenades on the deck) and they already had more lifeboats than was required.

Actually, much of the building of the Titanic was done ‘on the cheap’. For example, the steel used and the rivets holding the steel plates together were of cheaper quality. The cheap, brittle quality of the steel plates & rivets is said by some to be a partial cause of the sinking.

Partially true. The steel tested by UM-Rolla, as well as the NIST study, both indicated that the steel was of substandard quality by today’s standards, but was quite acceptable for steel of its time.

There are conflicting reports/studies about the rivets, their quality, and the techniques used to rivet up towards the more cramped bow sections during construction. Undeniably, poor riveting (materials and/or technique) could have yielded fatally significant weakness in the bow section.

From Secrets of Titanic’s Steel:

From Testing the Titanic’s Steel:

This conspiracy theory is not supported by plain eyewitness testimony of either crew or passengers. Neither lookout Fleet or Lee testified that the ship first started to go right, then left around the berg. In fact, even if Hitchens had screwed up, and turned the ship right instead of left, I see no reason for 1st Officer William Murdoch to countermand the order in the middle of the turn, so close to the iceberg.

And no passenger or crew ever testified that the ship continued on after it had hit the iceberg; all testimony is unanimous that the ship halted after having struck the iceberg.

You can make a case for any alleged steering snafu being covered up; only Lookouts Flee and Lee, Quartermaster Hitchens, 1st Officer Murdoch and Sixth Officer Moody are reported to have actually seen the collision, and only Hitchens, Murdoch and Moody were on the bridge at the time.

But the whole “the ship continued on” is flatly contradicted by several hundred surviving witnesses, who would have little or no reason to lie about such a thing to protect the White Star Line.

This was in the news this morning new book claims that the Titanic had plenty of time to dodge out of the way of the fatal iceberg but the collision was down to a helmsman who turned the ship the wrong way.

I don’t understand this.
If the lookouts reported “iceberg dead ahead!” (as they did), why would it matter which way you turned to get around it? Going around on either side should have worked, since it was directly ahead. Why would either direction be “the wrong way”?

I saw an interview with James Cameron in which he said that he had had many letters claiming that he had made an error in the scene. His explanation was as per post # 2.