Question about when or if you can state opinion

This is a part of what I was getting at. Obviously the answer is then going to be how you word the response. It does seem clear that it will be a rare day when a straight “that’s offensive” is going to be acceptable.

2 eyes - andy - 4 eyes He even made a thread about it. :wink:

Not to speak for ITD, but it seems to me she was saying that the potential for hijack is what drove the comment. GD is different than IMHO. In GD, saying that a particular position is offensive will hardly draw notice, though it’d be nice to see it backed up with substantive reasoning why.

Junior modding!!!

Boiiiil hiiiim iiiin oiiiil!!!

I’m not sure where you are getting that from- as I said up thread that a comment like that, if on topic, could be fine. Again the issue in that particular thread was that those posts were hijacks, not that they expressed offense.

For example, there are lots of threads in which the OP is asking if they screwed up, or were an ass etc, and saying “yeah what you did was offensive” would be perfectly on topic.

Yup

Junior modding does appear to be one of the most ill-defined of rules. I’d even say it has a chilling effect on comment at times. I have sometimes refrained from commenting in the past simply because of uncertainty over the scope of the rule. Unfortunately I’m not sure if there’s a solution though.

Right then. Depending on the forum, it may or may not be permissible to note that a poster’s position or post is offensive, and one may or may not need to provide cites. One should keep a particular eye on whether or not the comment is pertinent to the thread to avoid hijacking the thread, and, again, this is more relevant in some fora than others.

Other than taking note of where Bone is a moderator and possibly moving forward with observations of offensiveness in those fora, I think I’ll stick with my stated plan. Overall, one cannot state that a post was offensive. One can report it, ignore it, or take it to the Pit. As ITD notes above, there is the commonsense exemption where a poster asks specifically for feedback on this topic.

I find it simple … I’m not a moderator … so I never try to moderate a thread … if I see something I want to moderate, I click the red triangle … I’m sure the moderators would rather delete my report than chase down the rolled up newspaper …

Nobody in the thread this is about was given a note for junior modding, so I don’t really see how any of this applies to the situation. (not junior modding).

So why don’t you two knock off this hijack or stay out of the thread? (Junior modding)

From my experience mod notes are very situational. Trying to extrapolate the guidance given in a mod note out of its original context and make it fit in every situation as a board-wide rule usually fails because of all the ambiguities you mention.

In this case, in that one thread at that moment, the mod felt that criticism and defense of the joke were hijacking the thread. As far as I know in general it is actually almost always OK to post that you find a post offensive. But with all the caveats that apply; if it is the only thing you post in a thread that might be threadshitting, or if it is in reply to a post announcing the death of a loved one that might be being a jerk, etc.

Ideally one should be able to say whether something is offensive, but given all the caveats and variables I don’t see it as the prudent course in most circumstances.

I think it’s rather simple. Don’t hijack a thread or continue a hijack. That hijack might be about how you find something offensive or how you like lemon custard. We can’t say that “I think that is offensive” is going to be against the rules because it’s context dependent. Most of the time a mod coming in to note a thread derailment is just housekeeping to keep the thread on track. It becomes a problem if the instructions are not followed.

Lemon custard is foul stuff. I can’t see that anyone would like it. It’s borderline offensive.

I quite like it. :wink:

Coconut custard is better.

I’m impressed. How to junior mod and get away with it: just declare that you’re junior modding. It’s so bold a move that it might just work!

In ATMB when discussing what junior modding is, yes. Other times and places, not so much. :slight_smile:

My observation is that a post is not a hijack until there are multiple posts. A single post is not a hijack, even though it may become part of one. And hijacks on their own never get anything but a Note, so there is no reason to avoid posting because you are afraid something might become a hijack.

I have been here nearly 9 years. I have very often told people that I found what they said to be offensive. I do so in ways that unnecessarily aggravate people, and even in my opinion cross the line into being jerkish.

Yet, while I’ve gotten Warnings, I’ve never gotten one for those actions. And the mods don’t seem to be any different now than then on this. So I do not see this as a problem you need to worry about, Sunny Daze.

I suspect you’re right. Damn these fiendish rules. There’s always a catch!

So I am learning.

Ah … so as long as I phrase my statement as an example of what not to post … I can post anything I want … “That’s one hell of a catch” …

As a betting man … I’m betting that’s not exactly true … anyone wanna cover? …

Lemon custard is quite good. Lots of people enjoy a zesty tart. Especially in Britain.