Question for Southerners about Knitted Caps

I grew up in north GA, now live in south GA and we called em either stocking caps or toboggins.

They’re called toques here, too, and I’m pretty sure most of Wisconsin and Minnesota would call 'em that, too. It’s pronounced “chook.” It’s not the commonest word out there (I tend to call 'em winter hats) but nobody would look at you funny if you called it that.

Yeah, I guess the closer to Canada you are, the more likely you are to call it a ‘touque’. We pronouce it ‘toock’, though. :slight_smile:

Huh. Here in Canada it’s pronounced “tooke.” I would have no idea what a “chook” was.

Further - what the heck are you southerners doing wearing toques anyway - I thought it was warm there?!!? :confused:

Compared to Canada, maybe. In Tennessee, it’s not uncommon for the temperature to fall to the teens in winter.

Central and South Texas, we called 'em toboggan’s or knit caps.

Don’t forget the wind chill!

I pullem down over me ears.

Nashville born and raised

Toboggin=flat sled that curves up in the front

The hat was always a “stocking cap.”

After looking at the photo the OP linked, I’d say that was a knit cap. Although I’m sure lots of folks would call it a toboggan.
When I was a kid here in East Texas we wore toboggans, but they were longer and always had a damned pom-pom (or whatever it’s called) on the top. Everyone wore a toboggan in the winter, especially the kids.
IIRC they called them toboggans because that was the name brand who distributed the stocking caps in this region. They also had scarves, which were less popular and gloves as well. The scarves were often called toboggans too.

If you weren’t from where the company sold their wares you might not have been exposed to a toboggan hat or scarf.

It’s kinda like me telling y’all I’m going out for some Blue Bell. Anybody wanna go?
I wear a Stetson and Noconas.

Damn straight. Is the Banana Pudding flavor in season? Otherwise, dutch chocolate for me.

I’m from south Texas and I don’t know that I called them anything! I never had one, but I know what a toboggin is (sled and hat) and I have called them “beanies” and “touques.” I call it a touque here, though I’ve never considered how to spell that word and it looks damn strange! ;j

Grew up in DC in a southern family and we used tobaggan for both the sled and hat. I’ve seen toques pictured in books about military uniforms, but the picture was of a thing I commonly call a ski-mask: knit cap that totally covers the head and neck except for the face. I don’t expect to need one until I visit my folks for Christmas. I live in Southern Florida now.

Well, I’ll be dipped! It’s spelled “tuque”, with the French-Canadian spelling being “toque”. I knew it was a French-Canadian word, but it always seemed like it would be spelled, “touque”.

More ignorance fought and won today, I guess! :smiley:

From NC, too, and it was definately called a toboggan here when I was a kid. And even cooler is the way we pronounced it…TOE-boggin.

I don’t possess one now, so I rarely find the occasion to use the word much any more, but this thread makes me want to go buy a few so I can start indoctrinating my own kids with it. :slight_smile:

Jammer

:frowning: I miss Blue Bell ice cream. And it costs a king’s ransom to ship a couple halfpints outside the state.

Ben and Jerry’s is great, but it just ain’t the same.

Wait, wait, wait!!! A ski mask has a face with holes for the eyes and mouth. That’s what makes it a ski “mask”! My son used to delight in these, even when it was really too warm for the mask part. I think it was a super hero thing. Or maybe an ninja thing? Or possibly a bank robber thing. But he really liked them. I grew up in the Philly suburbs. If we called a knitted cap anything more specific than a hat, it would be a watch cap. I prefer them to be black or navy blue and worn with a duffel coat. My husband the Nova Scotian calls that a toque.

I’m from rural Louisiana and certainly didn’t call them a toboggan. That is something that Yankees slid down hills on. Some people had the hats but we just called them a winter cap or something.

I’ve lived in Texas for 40 of my 47 years. I also spent a year in Mississippi, three years in Colorado, a few months in California, and three years in northwest Missouri.

The only place I heard the term “toboggan” for a cap was in Missouri.

In my family we just called them hats, but I heard “toboggin” from only a few people in the Houston suburb where I grew up. It threw me for a loop the first time I heard it, because I thought my friend’s dad was telling him to put a sled on. Last year, I was confused when a customer asked if we carried beanies.

Usually called just ‘hat.’ I’m from VT, if that helps. How did we know we meant that kind of hat and not a different kind? Because that is a winter hap, and is worn and referred to in winter. During the summer, hat usually meant baseball cap.

My dad alwayas calls them “tuques”, though. And like Canadians, he prounced it “Tooke”. Like “took”, but the second O is a bit longer than the first…if that makes sense. Our family is French, so it’s very probable we are actually French-Canadian…but you won’t hear any of them admit to that. :wink: