Question for the lawyers, defense of a paedophile

Excellent point. A lot of things that happen in a trial can seem strange if you’re not used to them. I once read a book by a couple of academics that included a chapter on the Saccho/Vanzetti case. They had sought the advice of a criminal lawyer, and were glad that they had, because many aspects that had totally flabbergasted them were in fact the routine parts of the trial.

I can assure you that at no point did the victims do anything you describe. As far as I know, none of them ever contradicted themselves. In fact, it was their testimony and answers to questioning that negated this argument.

I’m favoring the last ditch defense, or the defense lawyer repeating his client’s argument. pravnik pretty much nailed it. The defendent was caught in the act with all the victims, confessed at first, but changed his mind later, and gave the legal system a lot of trouble with insanity pleas and other demands. They had lots of testimony from the victims, from the witness, and from the doctor.

He was found guilty, and received life with parole for all 16 counts. He was originally given the death penalty, but the victim’s mother argued against it. The judge said that because he showed no remorse, did not ask for forgiveness, admitted to doing nothing wrong, and for other behavior during the trial he would not have a chance for appeal. If he had been given the death penalty he would have had a chance for appeal, and the victims would have to go through it all again.

Wait . . . . . what? :confused:

This is what I was told the judge said. I’m getting all of my information 3rd hand, so it wouldn’t surprise me if I’m getting something wrong.

While the Supreme Court recently repeated that “The Federal Constitution imposes on the States no obligation to provide appellate review of criminal convictions.” http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/23jun20051201/www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/04pdf/03-10198.pdf

I’m unaware of any state that doesn’t offer some form of criminal appeal to a defendant convicted after a trial.

So I’d say someone probably misheard the judge.

Q. What do they call the guy who finishes last in his med school class?

A. Doctor.

Is this a whoosh? I think it is, but I was up late last night and haven’t had enough coffee today.