Question for those of the Christian faith...

Soulsling: you got it, but it does NOT mean the OT is meaningless for Christians. It is still a great Holy Book, just not the Law. The 10C’s are guidelines, not Laws, thus.

That is why Christians(mostly) have Sunday as their Holy day, instead of Saturday. That used to really bother me back in Sunday school, after all Sunday is the FIRST not 7th day of the week.

I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to say that the flag represents a symbol of our country. At the very least, the flag is a symbol of our country. But I’m curious as to what exactly you’re saying. It seems that you think that honoring a flag and kneeling before a statue project different amounts of respect on these two objects, but I’m uncertain as to which amount of respect you think is greater.

As to the “exemption” from OT laws, my understanding always was that in OT times God wanted you to follow the letter of the law. Jesus, however, seems to change the focus from the letter of the law to the spirit of the law, something which he constantly got on the Pharisees’ collective case about (cf. Matthew 23:23-24). So, Jesus didn’t nullify Old Testament Law - he just had his followers look at it in a new way.

Achernar
What i’m saying about the flag is, it was created to symbolize not just the USA, but what our forefathers went through to establish the USA, and our entire history as a nation. I’m not attributing any more honor to one thing or another, acutally, i’m just focusing on the point of idolotry, the statues, and following the laws of the OT vs. Jesus’ doctrines/teachings/laws.

So i understand from all this that the OT is kind of the old system, outdated, and needed to be revised according to Jesus, and so he and/or his followers/disciples decided to establish something more up to date. In which case, they decided that idolotry was no longer disrespectful becuase of the intent with which it was used.

follow me so far? am i on to something here? so does this continue to happen now? are there newer laws set by the “Church” to comply with modern times???

One thing that I would like to add to this is, according to what I’ve learned, Jesus did exist before birth, but was born in the flesh to provide salvation. One of the teachings I’ve heard is that he was the one who was with Shadrach, Meshach(sp?) and Abednigo in the lions’ den in the OT. Of course, that one is up for debate. But a lot of what’s written here is. Just throwing something else in here!

So Connor, you think that “before” in “Thou shalt worship no gods before Myself” actually means not to worship other gods while God is watching? Why wouldn’t He just say, “Thou shalt worship no other gods”? I still think He meant we could worship other gods if we want, as long as we remember who the head honcho is. Interestingly, that view shows God tacitly admitting that there are other gods in the first place. Let’s see if any of the Hebrew scholars floating around this forum can shed more light

I’m curious what a “comoc book answer” would be?! Anyway, the Trinity consists of God the Father, creator and sustainer of life, God the Son, saviour of humankind, and God the Holy Spirit, who inspires good works among people.

Worship of God takes many forms, but I guess the issue is why does a congregation meet and praise Him rather than worship privately and through good works (also key activities). Part of it is that it is important for a community of believers to be together and witness to one another their belief. Sacraments or other ceremonies are in part about sharing ways of worship instituted by Christ; a child is baptized in front of a community of witnesses as s/he joins them fully.

God wants us to love Him and if we take time out to praise Him as a community and renew that desire to love Him, it can only please Him. Yes, then the challenge is to leave there and be string enough to do good in the world.

Dinsdale, if I might offer answers to your questions which grievously PO’d your sister.

First, I take no offense in your asking these questions, as long as you’re honestly interested in finding out, rather than just needling someone with different beliefs out of some smug and smarmy need to put down people of faith. You seem to be of the former, rather than the latter, so here goes:

Jesus provided the answer (at least in part) to the question of what the Holy Spirit is for. He told his disciples before He ascended that He would be sending a Comforter, i.e. the Holy Spirit.

The aspects of the members of the Trinity are tough (if not impossible) to get a handle on, but since Jesus (God in the flesh) could not remain on earth, there needed to be a permanent and more pervasive presence of God for His followers. This is the Holy Spirit, who always existed, and is no less creator than God the Father and God the Son (“Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.” Genesis 1:2). It would take a better theologian/metaphysicist than I (since I’m neither!) to explain in any more detail. But I hope this helps on that subject.

For your second question, on why God needs to be worshipped at all, the quick answer is, He doesn’t. He desires our worship, but He doesn’t need it. Worshipping God is for man’s benefit, not God’s. Corporate worship is important for a body of believers, to keep them focussed on God, on doctrine, on their missions within the church and in the world, and to uplift and edify each other.

To use a really weak analogy, I could be away from home for 11 months out of the year, never see my wife or kids except for 28 days and I would still be married and be the father of my children. But it wouldn’t be very good, would it, for all concerned parties. Spending a lot of money on churches and statues and paintings is, in one point of view, misguided. But it is also an outward demonstration of the love, devotion and worship given to God. In that respect, it falls far short of what He really deserves from us.

That said, you are spot on regarding the lack of works in the Lord’s name that many church-goers are guilty of. But one does not supplant the other. A balance must be struck between the two. One of the most inspiring things I’ve ever seen in a church is a large banner over the inside of the front door. Everyone who leaves the church sees this message: “You are now entering the mission field.” Words every Christian should live by.

Hope this enlightens you, Dinsdale. I kind of wrote it on the fly, and I know I only scratched the surface. But your questions were good ones, and entirely legitimate for anyone to ask, including (perhaps especially) followers of Jesus.