Question for UK Dopers: What famous Americans did you learn about in your history classes?

British, took history from around 1980 to 1988 (I dropped it when it came to GCSE time).

I honestly don’t remember anything American at all in history class. Everything we did seemed to be medieval, I can’t even remember doing the World Wars. I seem to remember crop rotation appearing about once a year for some unknown reason.

The US figured better in English class. I definitely remember studying “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” and the work of TS Eliot (my “extended essay” for A-Level English Literature was “Discuss how Eliot’s writing went from despair to hope, taking into account “The Wasteland”, “Ash Wednesday” and “Burnt Norton””). Canada got a look in too with “The Handmaid’s Tale”.

Growing up in Warwickshire though, we did a LOT of Shakespeare.

ETA:
It might be relevant that I went to a private Catholic school that, I believe, didn’t have to follow the National Curriculum.

Egads, that reminds me, we seemed to do the Corn Laws for years. Anyone else remember doing the Corn Laws? Yes? Now, can anyone remember a damn thing about them?

…and that reminds me of a seemingly endless year of learning the Enclosure Acts and sodding field systems.

Spinning Jennies. shudder

I got five and a half…