Questions about Ankh-Morpork law

…but of course, you’ll want ketchup with that rat. Ever had rat without ketchup? Of course not.

There are also some traffic laws which are inforced by the Watch’s traffic detail.

It would appear, from the events in Jingo and Going Postal that Ankh-Morpork “law,” or at least Lord Vetinari’s interpretation of same, has one goal only: the protection of The City as a whole, the city he loves. Common street crime is a nuisance, but doesn’t affect the mechanism of the city. The trumped-up war with Klatch, the corruption of the Grand Trunk - those are full-scale threats. In other words, he sees “white collar” crime as much more serious than the normal thieves-assassins-street gangs kind. I think that’s one reason he allowed the Times (“The Truth shall make ye Fret”) to stay in operation: it’s better able to ferret out those kind of things than official investigations are.

And taxed!

I wouldn’t say he loves the city, that sounds so … emotional. It’s more like he wanted to remedy the untidiness, unsightliness and inefficiency of the city.

It is rather easy to commit suicide by Ankh-Morpork standards, like not handing over your money to an armed thief, unlicensed or not.

:smack:

You’re offside. The first move has to be a transverse. :rolleyes:

What are they teaching the kids these days?

I’d tend to agree with this analysis. IIRC, the reason why in Going Postal

Moist was going to hang at the beginning of the book
was precisely because he’d been engaging in serious white collar crime.