Questions about God.

I thank all of you for your debate. I essentialy have come to the conclusion that I can no more explain my faith than anyone else could explain what love is, or jealousy. Faith implies beleiving in something for which there is not complete evidence. Evidence can take me to a certain point, but from there I must use faith to get the rest of the way. I do beleive I have experienced God in my life in many ways, and that evidence is enough for me. I could chalk it up to my belief mechanism, but I still think that is just another word for Faith. Maybe everyone is trying to fill a void in their life which should be filled by God, but they choose other things sometimes. Maybe the atheists fill this void with science and philosophy. I know that I don’t have all the answers, and I never will. As GS replies “I don’t know is an acceptable answer”,
and I will agree with him. I don’t know everything there is to know about God, the origins of God, the Bible, or faith. I do know that I do have faith in God, and I beleive I am right. I see no harm to myself in having this position. I can still pursue intellectual things while having a belief in God. I know the arguments for and against God will never cease, but I do know that I am convinced for sure on which side I stand. Thanks again for your input, and feel free to continue the discussion as I will definitely continue to question what I beleive and try to find more and more evidence that supports my position.

Sorry Polycarp.I did not reply to your last post because a)I did not find a lot to disagree with and B)It seemed like you were asnwering specific questions that Moejuck asked from your own theistic perspective and I did not want to barge in arguing for the sake of arguing(or appearing to do such).

Sounds right to me.

Again, nothing explicitly stated that I would take issue with or contend.

Just a note here:It depends on whether the claim is an extraordinary claim or an ordinary claim.If you tell me that you work as a particle physicist I would not require you to provide empirical verification of this(however if subsequent postings showed a demonstrable ignorance of physics then I might suspect you were not being forthright) because whether this claqim was true or not would have no bearing on my observation and understanding of the universe.
If you tell me that “Ideas are the primary stuff of the universe and matter is only an illusion” or “The earth is flat” then I am going to require evidence which I can scrutinise which supports your claim.

To be sure.“Personal revelation” is indeed a form of evidence and I do not dispute it’s validity to the one who believes s/he has experienced such.It is just that, from an outsider’s viewpoint I must aknowledge that there are rational explanations for such personal experiences and I cannot dismiss these other explanations simply because the person offering them as evidence seems likeable, sane or honest enough.Occam’s razor applies.

Agreed but I will note that we do not know whether a historical King Arthur existed.We can reasonably conclude that he was at least based upon an actual king or kings but we have, as yet no way to confirm this and the same can be said of Jesus Christ.

I would also add the converse to what you stated that the historical substructure does not substantiate the excesses of legends.

I would largely agree except to note that I do not reject what one might call “truths” or “truisms” or “life lessons” that may be found in many religions(such as The Golden rule, or notions/ideals about humility, self-sacrifice, and the like) simply because I do not assent to the existential claim that God exists(as a self-aware, independent entity).

Again, I think we largely agree here.I suspect that you might give a bit more credence to the common notion of prophecy as prediction of events than I but this may be me reading into what you are saying.

My simple answer to this is “Trust is trust”.I DO trust certain people at times though I have no empirical proof that they will act as I hope and suspect they will but even this trust is based on observation and experiment.
Faith is not something I can relate to though since becoming a skeptic.