Questions about the recently born 85% sheep, 15% human hybrid

Human organs in sheep?

I’m not gonna say it.

Well, of course they’d say that. It’s their project.

As for me, I keep flashing on scenes from Fullmetal Alchemist.

Jimmy Joe Bob, is that you?

I notice that there are press releases on this dating from the end of March, and some from April 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, but oddly, there don’t seem to be any from the first of April. I wonder why they would have skipped on the news updates for that one day? :wink:

As for the legal implications, my guess would be that, as long as none of the brain tissue is of human origin, it’s in the clear as an animal which can ethically be slaughtered for organs. If all the human cells were in the liver, for instance, well, there’s no ethical problem with killing a human liver (it’s done all the time, with organs that are excised due to disease). If there were human brain tissue present, though, the question becomes a lot thornier, and I suspect that the biologists, the courts, and all else involved will try to put off that question for as long as possible.

Yep, and that’s why the experiments of putting human brain cells into mice brains are so controversial. Not to mention the problem if human chromosomes ended up in the gametes and if the animals bred. We’re in pretty scary, though exciting, territory here!!

Yes and no. Yes, all placental mammals are probably about 90% genetically the same, but it’s which particular genes are activated and where they are. One could imagine all the genes for encoding a human brain and cranium in a sheep, but none of the genes that determine other body structures. That might only bump the percent up a fraction, but that’s the fraction that could tip the scales.

Cite please? I hadn’t heard of these experiments.

Link

Cite and Googlecite

These sheep puns have got to stop.

I’m lanolin down in the sand.

and I dare anyone to step up and come up with one worse than that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Am I the only one who’s reminded of that blended Skittles ad?

“Hey, sheepboys! Get back to work!”

If it doesn’t bother Hal Briston, why would you care?

::d&r::

Thanks guys!

If so, a lot of Republicans will suddenly by supporting stem cell research.

nitpick: You meant embryonic stem cell research. It’s important to distinguish between the different methods of obtaining stem cells, and there are many methods that almost everyone supports.

Point taken.

Could this experiment be done in reverse, because I think that’s a lot scarier. Although, I wouldn’t mind a white wool coat during the Boston winters.

In theory there’s no reason why not, although I don’t think it would be ethical at the present state of the art.

Slight Hijack.

I just finished reading The Androids Dream by John Scalzi.

Great read, funny and suspenseful, and now far, far to close to the truth.

There’s got to be some sort of Hal rule that his name has to be brought up in the first 10 replies or a sheep OP or it can’t be mentioned.