Questions on Becoming a US Citizen

Apparently Some americans don’t really get this
There doesn’t have to be a NEED to actually aquire a dual citizenship
There is just a want factor. I’m in a similar boat as Gus_Handsom and i know the angle he’s getting at
I didn’t bother to read every comment, but i read a lot of false information
Someone actually said he couldn’t get a dual citizenship, and that he had to either be a canadian or an American, not both.
Thats completely false.
I don’t know all the information yet, but so far this is what i got, from a Canadian perspective:
You need to get a green card first (And I’ll be damned if i knew how to get that yet) and then you have to reside in the States for 5 years, and can leave on occasions but for no more than 6 months, or your not elligable any more.
After 5 years of having a Green Card, you can file for a dual citizenship.
The process seems long and gruling, but I’m young, and it might be worth it.

I also have no real NEED to become a dual citizenship, but it still looks appealing to me. I like visiting (and maybe, eventually, living in) The States
I have friends and family in the states and I’d like to visit often. I think a dual citizenship would make it a lot easier.

Also, I want to go to school there too. That’s gonna be a bitch, but hopefully I’ll figure it out.

If anyone knows more about this stuff, let me and my new pal Gus here in on it.

Actually if I understand the situation correctly a non-citizen being charged or prosecuted has the right under international treaty(Geneva?) to consular advice of their country of citizenship. So US citizen in Germany on a tourist visa being charged with insulting bratwurst :wink: has the right to access to consular advice.

However a dual citizen in either of their countries of citizenship is not a non-citizen, and therefore has no such right to consular access. So don’t expect any consular visits.