Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings vs Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings (open spoilers)

I remember that as well.

IIRC, he said that the “Proudfeet!” shot was an homage to Bakshi, but there are several other scenes, as mentioned, that are filmed in a similar way. We had a long discussion about the hobbits’ first encounter with a Nazgul in another LOTR thread some years ago.

I was watching the Bakshi film yesterday as part of a John Hurt filmfest, so it’s fresh in my mind. I give it this: some of animation especially in the early parts is not bad; I like three out of the four main hobbits although I can’t help regarding them as little boys rather than little grown-up people; and Anthony Daniels’ Legolas doesn’t get to do much but he doesn’t annoy me the way Orlando Bloom’s is really beginning to.

Does anyone else think that Peter Jackson’s battles are boring?

Wait, C3PO was Legolas? How did I never notice that?

Yep. Caligula and C3PO are among the Fellowship.

Yes. While there are a couple of scenes that I find dramatic (such as the charge of Rohirrim) – whether we talk about Weathertop, Moria, Helm’s Deep or Pelennor Fields, it is mostly pretty boring (I mean the actual fighting, of course).