Rap, Hip Hop, R&B- what's the difference?

You can make up whatever distinctions you want - you can say that the difference between a lamp and a lightbulb is that one of them has better taste in classic automobiles - but that doesn’t make you right.

That’s true, but I specifically said in my post that it was my opinion, and even gave an overview of the more generally accepted distinction that people make. But, again, that’s just their opinion. That said, I’m not the only one who makes this distinction.

…she said, my name is Lois Lane,
I got a boyfriend named Superman
I said, He’s a fairy, I do suppose
flyin’ through the air in pantyhose.

“Rapper’s Delight” forever will be the song that defines Rap for me, although the man from mars is through with cars and through with bars and now he only eats guitars yeah, uh, what was I saying?

Didn’t you read anything I wrote? I don’t say this often but I’m probably most qualified to answer your question being that I probably buy, download and listen to more rap music in a week than most people on this board will in their entire life…rap is rap regardless of the content.

Did you think that there might be people here who, in addition to listening to X amount of rap music every week, are actually rappers themselves?

And how does this qualify you over a rapper, a music historian, or a musicologist? Just listening a lot doesn’t make you an expert. It certainly gives you an informed opinion, but it’s not everything.

How do you know I’m not a rapper, how do you know I don’t write my own raps…and I’m not just a casual listener of Hip Hop but I am immersed in the culture. It was a simple question that was easy for me to answer and I’m not a music historian, don’t need to be for that particular question.

We’ve been over this a thousand times and no one ever likes my data, despite being from a pretty good source.

I worked at an HBUC for several years. All of the students there only used “hip hop”. Some sub-genres like “gangsta rap” were okay labelled as such. But anyone who referred to “rap music” was laughed at like a clueless idiot. If you wanted to be seen as “clueless white kid from the suburbs”, then “rap music” is the term to use.

As to R&B, there are never any clear lines between genres. E.g., Boyz II Men worked both sides of the track. So, different genres but crossovers could be done without much ado.

What is an HBUC?

Well, they might not have been technically wrong, since hip hop could be shorthand for hip hop music, which is more or less synonymous with rap.

Sounds like the students were clueless idiots.

Ah yes, the proverbial stupid white kid from the suburbs :rolleyes:

I must admit that I wasn’t a fan but I don’t remember Boyz II Men ever doing anything anywhere near rap. Are you sure you’re not thinking of Bel Biv Devoe?