Rare Surnames

Know someone with the last name of “Mrzljak.” I’m not really sure how to say that.

Apparently not even 100 of those around.

I would think that my BIL’s name is fairly common, but apparently it’s not. I’m quite certain that my sister’s name is absolutely unique.

There’s a cartoon, perhaps from The Far Side, of Noah’s Ark pulling away and leaving two unicorns behind. It just occurred to me of a way to top that.

The last two men with the surnames they carry turn out to be gay and want to get married and refuse to have a surrogate mother for one or the other’s child.

I can’t say what it is because I don’t want to be identified, but I am the only person in the world with my first and last name. My first name is an unusual spelling of a name that isn’t very common to begin with. It is hard to find info on my last name since it seldom appears in genealogy databases, but I have never heard of (or found on google) anyone with the same last name who isn’t a direct relative. It seems, based on the sketchy info I have, that the name was Americanized when my ancestors immigrated and I guess our branch of the family was the only one to end up with this version of it.
To me, it is hard to imagine having a normal name. I am known for being an unconventional/strange person and I think part of that is because I have spent my whole life with a very unusual name. :slight_smile:

I went to elementary school with a guy named John Tutek. He always went on and on about how his name’s really rare. To mess with him, I said I’d change my name to that.

Tutek isn’t even on the list. I guess he wasn’t bullshitting me

lavenderviolet, I’m also the only person (as far as I know) with my first and last name. My first name is actually not that uncommon, but my last name is one that I made up when I decided to legally change my name years ago. I wasn’t actively trying to give myself a unique last name; I just liked the way it sounded, and it reflected how I felt at the time. It wasn’t until years later that I tried to do any sort of search, and found that I was the only person with my last name in the nationwide white pages.

Apparently there are only 77 people with my surname in the US. In the UK, there’s seven of us, and we’re all related.

It’s an old German surname, so there’s probably a good few more in Europe somewhere.

A few years ago, if you put my uncle’s last name into the Canadian Yellow Pages, you’d get 13 people. All of them were related to me. My theory is that my uncle’s name got spelling-changed on the way over to Canada. I just googled the name and most the hits on the first page were cousins, one I couldn’t tell, and one was in Europe and new to me (and spelled with ö instead of o).

Me too. (I have the same first name as my father and grandfather, but they’ve passed away. And I have a different middle name, so as far as I know I’m the only one ever to have my full name.)

Despite the rarity of my surname, several of my brothers and nephews coincidentally share first names with members of the other families with the name. My youngest brother shares his name with and evangelical pastor in the midwest and a guy in Louisiana who went to jail for violating the embargo against Saddam Hussein before the Iraq War, which really annoys him.:D)

My mother’s maiden name (which is my middle name / extra bonus surname) is very rare. My maternal grandfather (who brought the name over from Greece) was an only child. I’m not sure whether his father had brothers, though, and if so, what their offspring are up to. I do find some Google results for people with that surname, mostly in Australia, which it might be interesting to investigate at some point. However, even on the first page of results I see people who I am directly related to.

EDIT: ah, I found a ‘White Pages’ website which says there are 27 people with that last name in the US. I’m not sure how accurate such things are…

Also my last name is pretty common (1853rd most common according to the same White Pages site), but my mom’s combination of first + last names, which are both immediate identifiers of two fairly disparate ethnicities, is unique.

It’s not my for-real surname, but Houtham is almost non-existent. A female Houtham was married in Pennsylvania in 1765. There seems to be a Houtham in Georgia.

England and Australia have towns that include “Houtham” in their name. I’ve seen 3 or 4 other referencea on Google. A “van Houtham” in Holland. A Peter Houtham, born 1645.

Hehe, on that note, there are 706 people with the last name Warrior. They’re mostly in Oklahoma and Texas.

My surname appears in the .csv file, but just barely (the .csv indicates it only lists names with > 100 occurrences, and mine is in the 300s.) Interestingly my first name is not common at all, but there are 20 times as many people who have my first name as their last name than there are people who have my actual surname as their surname.

So I guess you could say I’m someone who, going by the averages, has a last name as a first name…

Our database contains the 50,000 most commonly occurring names in the United States. Unfortunately, the name you selected isn’t contained in this database. Try using a slightly different spelling of this name.

What nationwide white pages site are people talking about?

I started from here:

went to the letter starting my last name, and looked - my last name doesn’t appear even though I was in the 2000 census. I know my last name isn’t too common but there are at least a few people in this country with my last name.

My surname is so rare that it doesn’t appear in any of those lists – not even the census bureau’s list of all surnames that occur 100 or more times.

And actually, within my own family, this surname doesn’t even go back very far in time. My dad changed his surname when he was a teenager. His previous name was more common. There are other people in the world who have the name from earlier generations, but they are not related to us.

(He changed his name for complicated political/ethnic reasons that don’t belong in this thread.)

My surname is certainly uncommon, but I’m surprised by how rare it is in the US: only 410 people!

Admittedly the name is specific to the linguistic border between English and Welsh, and is a hybrid between the two languages with a very common non-hybrid version overshadowing it (“Williams”).

My name isn’t in there either, but it is more common in Switzerland which is where I’m from.

My cousins’ name is not in there.

Huh. My surname isn’t in the top 1000, which is weird. It’s a really ordinary name but in a plural form. I can’t open the file that lists names occurring more than 100 times - any help? It comes up as a win.rar file and then extracts to oblivion.

There’s a website showing the geographical distribitution of surnames within the UK that shows that my surname is almost entirely within Kent, Essex and London and always has been.

Very odd for a surname that seems at first glance so very ordinary.

ETA: NM, it’s opened now. I’m a few thousand down.