Rat Poison Found in Tainted Pet Food

Be sure to keep all your vet and hospital bills related to this event.

My fiancé’s cat died a week ago of massive renal failure after eating extensively from one of the brands listed. I’ve talked with the veterinarian responsible for treating him up to his death, and she told me she had suspected something of this nature had occurred.

I really don’t want to broach the subject with my fiancé because she’d been absolutely miserable in the weeks leading up to his death.

I think the number of pets that have died from this is extremely undereported.

I’m doing that. I wish I’d kept one of the packages too, but I wasn’t thinking about evidence, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the company tried to brush me off. But the vet’s chart did mention “tainted cat food” in his diagnosis. Maybe that will help.

Intentional, but not malicious?

This sounds as if someone diverted treated wheat/seed (seed specifically for growing, which is treated with fungicides and rodenticides and such) and used it as filler. This is an “interesting” story in that it is probably too big for the media to ignore, (though they are doing their best) but has a lot of scurvy angles to it.

Ironically the treated wheat probably came from Canada or the US initially, and eventually made its way back here.

Heck no, I say sack the place and bring them here! :smiley:

Seriously. You DO NOT mess with someone’s animals. Dogs and cats have a lot more awareness and emotion than people generally give them credit for (although outright anthropomorphization is quite near batshit crazy).

I will, however, add:

Petchow arf arf
Petchow arf arf
Rat poison

Whoa there, Shep, that’s not for you!

Edit: aw crap, they cut out the jingle at the end.

Well, if they knew animals were dying and proceeded to market it anyway, I have a hard time seeing it as anything but malicious. Any way you slice it, this is turning into a really, really shitty situation.

I would tend to agree. Veterinarians tend to not be aware of who to report news of this nature to. Personally, I am in a one man practice and I have euthanised three animals so far that ate recalled food. I have tested around three dozen animals that were fine.

vetbridge,

That’s the really scary part of it for me - my three dogs sometimes ate the MightyDog pouches, depending on what was available or on sale or where I was shopping at the time. Recently, actually several weeks ago, two of them threw up a few times and the eldest had the runs. Our Mastiff puppy did get caught eating charcoal wood bits out of the firepit a few times! I coincidentally switched to Alpo in cans just days before the recall was announced, because of the affordability and having the hungry puppy, now. They are all 70 lbs or larger and only get a bit of wet with their dinner kibble. They all seem fine. Dogs do throw up. I feel guilty I haven’t had them tested, but would it be an overreaction on my part? If it was the tainted food, would there be any lasting testable effect at this time?

If they had kidney damage, that could still be shown by blood testing, but I don’t think the poison hangs around in the body. Probably your vet could advise you on what the tests can show and whether the testing is indicated.

A urinalysis and chemistry panel are good things to do every year or two especially with a giant breed. I’d advise it just for piece of mind. If there is some kidney damage, dietary changes can be a big help.

Marketing of the actual product might be entirely benign. It might not, but the possibility is there. I’m no cereal or grain pet-food guru, but what I have been able to glean is that rodenticides (among other things) are applied to seed crops that are never meant as feed crops, they are only for growing. Somehow, if theory is correct, this seed was diverted outside its’ intended purpose.

My non-scientific theory is that the reason for Chinese wheat is simple: Canadian wheat farmers get paid $2 per day while Chinese wheat farmers get paid $2 per month.

Half my damn country is covered in wheat but it’s cheaper to ship it from halfway around the world. All so people can save a few cents on a can of pet food.

Ain’t globalization grand?