RE: Are ships captains allowed to marry people at sea?

If you’re talking about breast size, INflated would be a better word than CONflated. :smiley:

I don’t get that breast size comment.

But as an aside, I’ve seen several Audrey Hepburn and Katharine Hepburn movies and I’ve never seen Audrey Hepburn doing something I’d describe as good acting.

I seem to recall reading a National Geographic article about an oceanographer traveling between several different Middle Eastern countries. One of his sailors wanted him to perform a marriage. The sailor apparently had “wives” in several different ports in several different countries, and having the captain officiate was enough to persuade the brides’ families that their daughters were not living in sin.

I believe that sailors have perpetuated the myth for their own purposes, deliberately ignoring the official laws.

“Marriages performed by the captain of this vessel are valid only for the duration of the voyage.”

Hello 2011 :slight_smile:

I have no reason (yet) to believe that the story was wrong. Marriage before a priest or magistrate only became embedded in English law some years before the novel setting: a Catholic priest would not, I think have been eligible, and a ships captain in the Queens navy (also expected to read the service on Sunday) would have been the closest thing to English law and the state church for miles around and for months if not years on end.

It’s clear that an American ships master has no authority /now/ to preform a marriage unless registered as a celebrant by some American state. Extending that to an English Navy captain /then/ is another step.

Was that really necessary? That’s exactly the sort of irrelevant reference to women’s bodies that we’ve been trying to discourage.

King’s Navy, at the time of the Aubrey-Maturin books.

And also at the time Mutiny on the Bounty (the 1962 Marlon Brando version) was set, that is, in 1788. Just watched it, and at one point a midshipman, having fallen in love with a young Tahitian woman, asks Capt. Bligh to marry them. The captain refuses (pretty rudely, too), but not because he lacks the authority.

I was reading this thread, somewhat puzzled. Because several years ago two friends of mine were married at sea on a cruise ship by the captain. It was a very big deal and everyone seemed on-board with the concept. Do I need to call them and tell them their marriage validity is suspect? Further, I remember seeing a Princess Cruises promotional video (incessantly, it seemed to be playing every time I turned on the TV in my cabin) featuring a large elaborate wedding at sea.

Googling around, I found this tidbit.

“Through Bermuda law, and because most of the Princess captains have Bermuda licenses to perform marriages, captains aboard Princess cruises Golden Princess, Star Princess, and the Grand Princess may perform marriages aboard ship and at sea.”

Yep, my friends were married on the Golden Princess. And through commercialization, the myth becomes real. A little bit.

If Jim Kirk’s shirt is torn, he can do anything.
Even beat Batman.

What self-respecting Starfleet captain would preside over a wedding in a torn shirt? Not James T. Kirk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS3PQgCVF4U

This thread brings 2 questions to my mind.

1. Can you have your boat registered (flagged) by The Conch Republic?
  2. How does the Conch Republic feel about captains officiating at marriages at sea?
  1. No, since it’s not an actual polity
  2. How could you, or anyone, know what the CR “feels”?

The claim that ship captains cannot preside at a marriage may apply to legal marriage in many or most present-day countries, but I wonder about its general validity. First, one would have to define “marriage”! In Thailand for example, the ceremony that makes cohabitation “not sinful” and legal registration of a marriage are unrelated.

Consider the opinion of Judge Kellogg of the New York Court of Appeals in Fisher v. Fisher, 165 N.E. 460 (NY 1929):

Not only did the Judge find this marriage valid, but he calls attention to an act of Congress that seems to make a ship’s master responsible for recording such marriages.

It’s like people don’t read the column. Cecil addressed Fisher vs. Fisher.

Also, Ann Hedonia,

Your example of Bermuda fits into that category. They have licenses to perform the ceremonies. Probably smart PR for Princess and Bermuda.

Uhh … The Master has spoken? He cites one case with a Captain’s marriage ruled valid; one without. Should we go for 2-out-of-3?

And Dear Master missed the significance of “that every master [Captain] of such a vessel should make entry therein of every marriage taking place on board.” The significance of anyone presiding over a marriage is to witness. Judge Kellogg noted that Congress gave the specific duty to the Captain.

A clear-cut answer? No, hardly. Is the generalization that Ship’s Captains never perform marriages too facile? Certainly, whatever “Cecil” might think.

I read Fisher to suggest that the captain (or other responsible officer) must, under Federal law, note any shipboard weddings in the log, but not that the captain necessarily has the authority to officiate over the wedding. The happy couple could have been married by a member of the clergy they invited along for the occasion, or a vacationing priest who just happened to be available and willing to perform the ceremony.

It strikes me the Master must log a wedding, sort of like a Clerk of Courts must record a wedding.

If the ship is registered to a Common Law jurisdiction, then the Captain has the authority to perform a marriage, just like anybody else does.

The vast majority of common law jurisdictions now require some form of marriage license.

I read the statue quoted in the Fisher opinion (based only on the quote in this thread) to be that the captain must record marriages, but that doesn’t imply authority to carry them out-- after all, presumably the Captain must also record deaths but that doesn’t imply he (or anyone else) has the general authority to cause them.

The Fisher opinion seems to run with that pretty far, in my opinion (as someone pretty ignorant of both family and maritime law). I assume the judge was looking for a way to use the general and sensible rule of “If everyone involved acts like it’s a valid marriage for an extended period of time, it is valid, regardless of any minor technical issues”, but the legal reasoning seems pretty shaky to me. It’s a pretty big jump from Congress writing a law about ship management and adding a couple words saying marriages are one of many things to be recorded, to Congress clearly intending that ships should be a marriage anarchy zone, with marriages have no rules at all but legally binding in the U.S. Again I’m ignorant of maritime law, but I would presume there’s some locality’s legal code in force on a ship (again, ships are not penalty-free-murder zones), so why wouldn’t that code for marriages be in force too?