Batman Begins. Gordon sees the Batmobile jump over the bridge into Gotham and says “I gotta get me one of those!” Forget that he’d already seen it and he wouldn’t say something so stupid.
[/QUOTE]
Am I misunderstanding you? He had already seen it, they just added that line to another scene. You did know that and I’m not being dense, right?
Oh and any “lonely kid whose only friend is an amazing dog” movies. And “a movie that will touch your heart” or “teach you the real meaning of friendship”. Hate them both.
[QUOTE=Love Rhombus]
Am I misunderstanding you? He had already seen it, they just added that line to another scene. You did know that and I’m not being dense, right?
[/QUOTE]
Yes, the line was delivered in a later scene after he had already seen it. I guess he could’ve have said it later after already having seen it, but the way it was inserted and delivered seemed totally out of place and out of character. Clearly a sound bite for the trailer.
[QUOTE=labtrash]
Semi current trends I hate:
[/quote]
“Let’s Revive A Dead Franchise With Black People” Movies: Dr. Dolittle, The Honeymooners, The Nutty Professor etc. “Hey, Black folks like old-timey crap like jazz and fedora hats. Why can’t we 1) peg some long unused character or series we can get cheap rights to, 2) turn the two leads Black, and 3) profit?”
There aren’t any non-White counterparts to these guys. Chris Rock would probably be closest. I think Kal Penn is an awesome actor, and he looks like he is going to be great in Namesake. Thing is, his funny movies are really funny (though the Van Wilder one looks pretty dumb and American Pie-ish).
[/QUOTE]
You’re forgetting two of the unfunniest leading men around, Martin Lawrence and Chris Tucker.
My most hated recent movie trend is probably best summarized with this image I made. (Since I made that collage, I found several new posters that need to be added, including “Deck the Halls” and “Norbit.”)
[QUOTE=Dr. Rieux]
You’re forgetting two of the unfunniest leading men around, Martin Lawrence and Chris Tucker.
[/QUOTE]
Ooh, good point. But neither is getting much work nowadays, right?
Let’s not forget the worse violators of all - each of the Wayans brothers. Mama Wayans has a lot to answer for, namely her sons’ efforts to lower the collective IQ of the American public.
Weird thing is, Keenan Ivory Wayans is actually quite funny and a good writer. On occasion Damon is funny. That’s all we’ve got talent-wise in that family, yet they are somehow able to continue to inflict mental carnage on the public.
[QUOTE=Lynn Bodoni]
This isn’t a new trend, but I really hate how movie makers try to exceed previous movies in blood and general gross stuff. A movie can be scary without showing body parts, blood, all that sort of stuff.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I agree with this. Particularly the Saw movies and the Hills have Eyes remake. They just have to keep pushing the envelope and I can’t help but wonder how far it will go.
[QUOTE=Love Rhombus]
…And “a movie that will touch your heart” or “teach you the real meaning of friendship”. Hate them both.
[/QUOTE]
From DeeDee’s opening voiceover in The Opposite of Sex: “If you think I’m just plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you’re in over your heads. I don’t have a heart of gold and I don’t grow one later, okay? But relax. There’s other people a lot nicer coming up—we call them ‘losers.’”
[QUOTE=KJ]
My most hated recent movie trend is probably best summarized with this image I made. (Since I made that collage, I found several new posters that need to be added, including “Deck the Halls” and “Norbit.”)
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Ronald C. Semone]
I hate conspiricies. I am tired of movies in which the chief bad guy turns out to have been the boss of the good guy. Related to this is my dislike of movies in which the FBI or the CIA turn out to be the chief villains; enough already, let’s return to those days when the U.S. and its agencies were the good guys.
[/QUOTE]
Original Thing was better. Jeepers Creepers 1 and 2 separate but still tense.
Raising Arizona brought men screaming loud and long. Now bunches of movies do it with cameras going down the throat. It has played out. Stop it now.
And last, but not a new trend, I wish movies weren’t awash in music from beginning to end. See the movie Dead Calm and you’ll realize how manipulative the music is in most films (not to mention distracting.) Dead Calm had no music at all—at least none during the movie itself—and it was unbelievably suspenseful. Great film.
[/QUOTE]
How about Dog Day Afternoon? If there’s any movie that demonstrates how much more effective scenes can be with no music, it’s that one.
Also, I’m sick of comic books and graphic novels turned into movies (also video games into movies). Enough. A NY times reviewer wrote a while back that he is tired of pretending that these films are deep and dark when they are actually embarassingly sophmoric.
[/QUOTE]
This “trend” goes back to the beginning of comic books, and you’re just now getting sick of it?
Along with this, something Lord of the Rings did, but many other movies do worse, is scale out of scope with the script.
They say that an army of 5,000 or so is coming, then later do the big sweeping CGI overlook of the battle. And it’s usually about 5 square miles of troops in formation. I’ve seen Michigan Stadium, and I know what 100,000 people together aproximately look like. Some of these movies are showing millions if not 10s of millions of troops ready for pitched battle, just cause they can.
Every trailer for a comedy nowadays does the same thing: there’s background music, the music comes to an abrupt and jarring stop, then blam! Punch line! I think of it as the director pointing a gun at your face and barking, “Laugh, damn you!!”