Recommend A Great Strategy Game

Err…“bugged me”.

• Tamerlane

Heroes 3 has an easy interface, lots of maps (plus you can find plenty more on the Web) and you can play multiplayer. (I play so much online that I had to change my Internet provider to a flat rate!).
Also it’s cheap!

I’m still trying out Heroes 4, but I don’t feel there’s been as big an improvement as I expected.
In both Heroes 3 to Heroes 4 and Civ 2 to Civ 3, there has been a major change in the way you play.

Enjoy your gaming - but don’t neglect your schoolwork / friends / family!

Alpha Centauri - Cheaper, smaller (hard drive space wise) and about three times better than Civ 3. Its basically the same game too, except without the flaws.

Starcraft - the best balanced RTS I’ve ever played, but the multiplayer kind of sucks because of the community.

Red Alert 2 - Another great real time strategy.

I’ve got to add my voice here I’m a dedicated Strategy player and my favs stand as of right now 1. Stronghold 2. Call to Power Two (by the makers of Civilization) 3. Populous The Beginning (oldie but a goody) 4. The Sims (sorry had to through it in, why not be a God :wink: ) Hope it helps… oh and BTW stronghold has a really good multiplayer on gamespy if anybody is interested :smiley: have fun and happy gaming.

Does anyone here like the Dune games from Westwood? I am so totally in love with them, but I’ve met maybe one other person that played them (apart from friends I’ve introduced it to).

Dune Emperor should only be around $20, and I love the hell out of it. Very fun. Though the Dune games more or less exactly fail to follow the books, it really isn’t that big of a deal. Just picture: Dune characters, harvesters and sandworms, and mission-based RTS (or single skirmish battles against a somewhat customizible enemy). I dunno, the only strategy game I like more than Dune2000 or Dune Emperor was CivII (haven’t gotten III yet, and prolly won’t until the price drops).

Otherwise, PlayStation’s “Final Fantasy Tactics” is, shall we say, SUPERB. Turn based strategy/rpg, with “light-ish” on the strategy and heavy-ish on the RPG, but I think it is a fine example of what games are all about. I say “light-ish” on the strategy because the Zodiac fighting system (yes, astrology) isn’t really worth the effort to learn unless you are a knight or thief, but there are plenty of very difficult battles that require, IMO, some serious thought to win. Also, the enemies you face are a function of your experience level, so the game keeps about the same challenge throughout (actually, it gets moderately harder up until one gains control of a certain character, after which it becomes pretty much a piece of cake—but I don’t use him so that I can maintain the challenge).

Sorry for the rambling there, FFT is quite simply my favorite game ever.

I’d recommend X-COM: UFO Defense (unless you already have it). It’s old but it’s good.

One of the most addictive and challenging strategy games I’ve ever played. The sequel is worth playing if you want more of a challenge (it’s essentially the same game, but much harder)

I haven’t played Hroes 4 yet. I’m excited about a lot of the new features I’ve heard of.

I really, really like Homeworld. If you don’t mind a real time game, Homeworld is one of the best ones out there. Multiplayer is fun, and the single player campaign is well executed.

Battle Realms is an interesting little RTS. It’s focused on small armies, and effective use of unit special abilities. Battles get very frantic though, so those without good micromanagement skills (like me) will probably find it more frustrating than fun.

Shogun is a great game. That is all.

I’ve already got it. I did really like it, but it just takes up a LOT of time, which I don’t really have. Tell you what - if you want it, it’s yours if you want to trade something.

Call To Power II was made by Activision and without Sid Meier. It doesn’t carry the Civ trademark, either. It is not part of the series, and the makers had nothing to do with it.

Oh yeah, to the OP:

Europa Universalis II. Have to have a penchant for history, though.

To other EUII players: Where do I play multiplayer at? I have no friends with the game, and can never seem to find internet games. Are there any good hosting sites?