Recommend a vacation spot for solo woman

I’m thinking about taking a long weekend in September or October and exploring a city I’ve never been to before, just on my own for 3-4 days (last year I had a pleasant day-and-a-half walking around Santa Fe, as an example).

The kind of things I’m interested in:

Historic sites or neighborhoods
Shopping/galleries
Museums
Theater/classical music/opera

I’m not really into nightlife or sitting around in the sun.

Places I’ve already been: basically just Santa Fe, Williamsburg, VA and Washington, DC (I liked them all).

U.S. and Canada would probably be best, due to the time I’ll be able to spend, but all suggestions are welcome.

I just came back from Halifax, Nova Scotia & I loved it. I didn’t stay long enough to investigate the theater, but Historic sites, shopping & Museums are pretty well covered.

In October it’ll probably be a tad bit chillier than it was in July.

Philly!

Historic and cultural stuff out the wazoo – it’s a wonderful city for walking around in – and there’s plenty of friendly Dopers who’d love to get together and have dinner with you (if not take you on tours, etc.). The weather is usually lovely in the fall.

San Antonio is a fascinating city. Great food and shopping, interesting historical spots, several fine museums. I wouldn’t suggest vacationing in San Antonio during the summertime, since it’s hotter than hell, but it’s just wonderful there in the fall.

Sounds like any of Boston, New York or San Francisco. Some of Boston’s best weather is during those months (although admittedly, we get some pretty foul weather in the autumn as well).

I travel alone to San Diego quite a bit and enjoy it every time. By September or October the weather shouldn’t be quite so warm or humid as it is now; even at that, the nights are generally cooler there since it’s coastal.

For walking around in historical districts, Boston is a great choice.

I’m also a fan of Toronto, and on my last visit (October 2003) the weather was beautiful.

Charleston, SC is just gorgeous. And the people are incredibly friendly and kind–I think you’ll feel very welcomed.

I was going to suggest Chicago, but then I saw your location. Boston is cool for a few days if you haven’t been there before. I really liked both San Fransisco and San Diego. San Diego has awesome public transportation that seemed to go everywhere I wanted to go. Though I’ve never been, I’ve heard nice things about Montreal from friends that have been there.

If I were playing Jeopardy, my answer would be:
Things to do in New York City.

Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions. Some of them I had already thought about, but others hadn’t crossed my mind. How will I ever decide?

(Keep 'em coming!)

My bedroom!

Quebec

Halifax will definitely be cool in October and the tourist season will be over. Nova Scotia also has no Sunday or holiday shopping (October 10th is Canadian Thanksgiving). It’s definitely a nice place to visit, I just wouldn’t want you to be disappointed.

Here’s some tourist info: Halifax Info
[url=http://novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx]Nova Scotia Tourism

Despite being a Maritimer, given the time of year, I’d also vote for Quebec (Quebec City in particular).

Holy crappy coding, Batman.

My first link: Halifax Info
Second link: Nova Scotia Tourism

I have to third Boston. It’s truly a beautiful city.

We’re taking some friends next weekend, and we’ll hit the aquarium and Quincy Market, an outdoor market. They also have whale-watching and a beautiful historic district, the harbor, and a bunch of other nice stuff.

For a smaller destination, St. Augustine is a place I really like. It has a fort and other historical attractions, and cute streets for strolling around. And it fits your timespan of a couple of days.

Another vote for New York City.

She could come round my place :wink:

Seriously if you can get more than two weeks, take the time to visit Europe, Fly to Rome and then take trains through Itally, France, and then take the Channel Tunnel to UK. Otherwise New York is a great idea for two weeks or less.

Another vote for Boston.

It’s an expensive city, but there’s great public transportation (and as long as you’re not on it TOO late at night, it’s safe… I’m comfortable traveling by myself and I’m not a particularly brave person!) so you can stay outside of the city or at least a little further from the tourist attractions to save some money. It’s also a great city for walking around.

Quincy Market is great as is the aquarium. Follow the Freedom Trail, checking out all the historic sites along the way, and then get some great Italian food in the North End. I can’t go to Boston without stopping in the North End for dinner and a cannoli. YUM! Oh, and if you do go to Quincy Market, stop by Durgin Park lunch. It’s one of those great old Boston classics.