Recommend me a guitar amp.

That looks perfect. And there’s a Guitar Center near me, so I can see what it sounds like. But it’s expensive.

Fender has some amps that are considerably less expensive, but bigger and heavier.

I’ll have to go down to Guitar Center and try a few. I wonder if they’d let me bring my bass and plug it into their amps?

Of course they will!

I’ve got a solution for the amp issue, thanks to squeegee’s generosity. Thanks for the input, all.

I did a gig(soundguy) a few years ago with a guy known for his clean tone and was astonished to find his amp of choice was a Fender tube amp, either a deluxe or twin I can’t remember which. After soundcheck I just had to ask, so I did…

Me: " I expected you to use a solid state amp like a JC-120 or 60"

Artist " I used to use solid state amps but I did a record with a guy and he taught me that a tube amp can make any tone you wish and I have never looked back"

Artist was Nile Rodgers and he was talking about Stevie Ray Vaughn.

The point is IMHO a tube amp is flexible and will let you explore a bunch of different tonalities. You don’t have to spend a fortune, something like a Fender Blues Junior will do the trick quite well, but be careful you might get hooked and want one of these.

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/amps/two-rock/two-rock-matt-schofield-limited-edition-signature-50w-guitar-head/

Enjoy the new axe

Bass wise, there are a ton of small class d bass amps around, I personally would buy a Genz-Benz Shuttle for the reason that the DI outs always work and I mean always. I toured with a band for three years with four GB amps on stage, used the DI outs every night, never has a buzz I couldn’t fix with the ground lift switch. Small clubs, giant festivals, US, Canada and Europe.

Capt

I have a Blues Jr, and it has the loveliest clean tones - beautiful shimmer and chime. Fenders tube amps are well known for these qualities.

Yep and they will get nice and gritty too. IMO you just can’t get the versatility of tone out of a solid state that you can get with almost any tube amp, well until you get into the really powerful tube amps.

Capt

Take a look at the Fender Rumble 30. Have a look on kijiji or local music shops for second hand gear, you can go for a little better quality and save some money. Take your axe and try it out to see if you like the sound. The nice thing with solid state amps is they are relatively bulletproof compared to a tube amp.

Missed the edit window:
Now having said that I built my own version of a tele (72 thinline with Bigsby vibrato) and ended up with a GenzBenz Black Pearl 30 tube head and 2x12 cab ($530) for home use. It’s plenty loud and since I don’t gig much out of the house, works for me, heft and all.
Chefguy, the above applies to you as well as far as looking around for second hand gear. Best of Luck, and tell us what you find!
+1 on the lessons. You are never too old to learn something new…

I’ve got 3 internets that say they’ve probably got a precision bass or 2 hanging on their wall anyway. Though they probably are fretted.

I’d like to second the Fender Rumble bass amps. I’ve used a Rumble 60 and liked it. It’s a bit hefty, but may be worth it to you.

That being said, I would LOVE to have a MarkBass amp.