Recommend me some "mindfuck" fiction

I really liked Zod Wallop. A complete mindfuck, and well-written and engaging, too.

Maybe something by William Browning Spencer. Irrational Fears or Zod Wallop or perhaps?

Heh, five minutes ahead of you. :smiley:

Bah!
I spent too long browsing Amazon deciding which titles to suggest!

Another interesting mindfuck that I especially liked because it completely sneaks up on you is Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith.

Best. Opening. Chapter. EVER.

I think the novel The Carpet Makers by Andreas Eschbach fits the bill. Creative, WTF - Sci Fi.

The books of Jerzy Kosinski might fit also, tho I really didn’t like his books, some people do.

Amnesia Moon by Jonathan Lethem.

G. K Chesterton’s The Man Who Was Thursday, perhaps?

Jorge Luis Borges, Ficciones.

The Life of Pi doesn’t seem like a mindfuck until the last chapter (or so) which makes you reconsider the entire thing.

I love this topic! I’m going to writing down all the suggestions in this thread.

My contributions:

Book:

“Outrageous Fortune” by Tim Scott. It’s set in a futuristic America where everyone lives in zones defined by music genres, and opens when the main character has his house stolen. It’s very funny and strange, and definitely didn’t end how I expected it would.

Movie:

“The Fountain” 2006, with Hugh Jackman. Such a visually beautiful film, I loved the music in it, and I’m still not sure what exactly happened. I love that movie.

I came in just to recommend that specific book. (The movie’s not bad but the book is where it’s at.)

It’s on a totally different level than anything else in this thread. And it stands a good change of thoroughly disgusting you, as well, with the extremely (lovingly?) detailed descriptions of car damage, body damage, and sexual fluids.

If you’ve seen Empire of the Sun and can recall the young Ballard’s fascination with the destroyed cockpit and smashed instrument panels of the crashed fighter plane, it’s not much of a stretch to see how he got to Crash. The book lavishes a lot of detail in particular on the instrument panels of the cars (or as it says in the book, “instrument binnacles.”) There’s also a bizarre fascination with airplanes in the book, and the airport, and the airport’s parking garage.

It’s all very, very bizarre. Really a mindfuck of the highest order.

Borges, anything, really. You cannot really go wrong here.

And while we are at Latin American authors,

Ernesto Sabato, On Heroes and Tombs (seriously seriously messed up)

Julio Cortazar, anything, also. But Hopscotch is not only physically complicated to read (you had to be there) but it has some scary moments. And “Final del Juego” is a book that comes with three levels of difficulty (!). The very first story, “La Continuidad de los Parques” (easy level) is a great mindquicky.

I don’t know if it wualifies as a mindfuck, but it is certainly a mindfunk, as it is one of the funkiest, weird, cool books I have ever read: Gojiro:A Novel

I’m surprised that I’m the first to mention Being John Malkovich, a movie about a business set up on the 7th and a half floor of an office building where you can buy time being John Malkovich, literally seeing what he sees, and controlling his actions.

Also, there’s Memento, a movie about a guy who is unable to form short term memories. Since the protagonist doesn’t know what just happened, you don’t either - the scenes are out of chronilogical order.

I don’t know that I would describe them as mindfuckery, particularly, but they are surreal and a lot of fun–the Thursday Next novels, starting with The Eyre Affair, by Jasper Fforde.

I was going to suggest this too. I’ve read it three times now and enjoyed it in different ways each time. And I’m SURE I’ll understand it someday.

Nah, it’s just somewhat confusing. Seriously, they call the episodes “layers” and Wikipedia refuses to have a plot summary. Maybe it’s not overly insane, but it doesn’t exactly make perfect sense.

House of leaves is definitely on my “to do.” If for no reason than to make sense of this.

Anyway some good suggestions, I’ve seen/read a few of these, but I have a lot I may need to check out.

Each of these are m-fs in their own ways, & I forgot to mention them when I posted before: Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll; Little, Big by John Crowley; and seriously, One Hundred Years of Solitudeby Gabriel Garcia Marquez

True, but it’s not that great a book in my view (a whole lot of nothing happens in it until the last fifty pages or so).