Recommend Netflix streaming documentaries

Okay. So I just watched The Parking Lot Movie. Ugh. What a bunch self-righteous, pretentious, hateful pricks. I really hated the guys in that film. They are the worst people in the world.

Don’t get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with dropping out of the rat race, taking life slow, being a “b-type”, or spending one’s life in contemplation. I have friends and family members who live this way, and I’ve been there myself at a time in my life. But these guys were just lazy jerks. Just plain assholes with chips on their shoulders, no better than the stuck up frat folk they were so obsessed with insulting. A bunch of cowardly, selfish, shits.

What a waste of humanity.

Probably not the picture the filmmaker was trying to paint, but that’s what I got from it.

The film making was pretty poor too. There was no story here, just “look how cool these hipsters are”.

Ugh.

+1 for Wordplay

“In the mean time and in between time I’m gunna be who I am, a pre-Mecca Malcolm playin’ Scrabble.”

I found Man of Wire to be insufferable, having a vision is great but he needs to stop acting like he’s curing Cancer. And his girlfriend creeped me right out, it felt like his shit was a cult.

I Like Killing Flies - Seinfeld’s Soup Nazi isn’t as much of a stretch as I once thought.

I’ve been part of Darkon for 12 years (I’m actually a founding member of Laconia, the country the movie was about), and we generally feel that Darkon the Movie mischaracterized us as a bunch of socially retarded basement dwellers. A few of us are, but a good 95% of us aren’t.

Yeah, I had the same reaction. It’s a movie in which nothing happens and nothing is said. The only point of interest is the sense of this meaningless job become a social lynchpin for a group of people. If the people on display weren’t so crappy, I might care.

The best doc I’ve seen on Netflix is In the Realms of the Unreal. It’s about “outsider artist” Henry Darger. Darger spent most of the free time of his whole life locked in his small, one-room apartment writing a 15,000 page novel, its unfinished sequal, and producing dozens of huge, vibrant collage-and-watercolor illustrations.

Darger was almost certainly a high-functioning autistic man with possible other mental health complications. He lived a profoundly lonely, painful life and responded by creating a massive, rambling work that intersperses childhood glee with horrific violence. It is fairly clear that Darger had an exceedingly difficult time interacting with the world, and instead spent as much time as possible escaping into his imagination. He spent years teaching himself unusual artistic techniques to better externalize his fantasy world.

The movie isn’t flawless (there’s some animation work that looks a little clumsy and amateurish) but it’s a great portrait of the man and his art and stays interesting.

Is that back on streaming? I had it on my queue for a while and then it went away before I got around to watching it.

Not streaming as of July 6, 2011.

Brothers Keeper - its up now and it is very good. Heartwarming, sad, a whole bunch of emotions wrapped into one movie. If any of you watch it, tell me what you think.