Recommend some good books for a budding young skeptic

You’re doing the right thing. Good for you.

I can’t tell you “so what.” You have to weight that. When faced with the possibility that you may alienate her parents and lose all contact with her, you have to decide if the risk is worth the good you’re seeking to do. I can’t make that decision for you; I can only point out the problem. If you’re good with it, I obviously am as well, because it’s not my family. I would point out, however, and using your analogy, that if I had a neice or nephew in a rabidly homophobic family such that I was the only voice of tolerance he/she heard, probably the last thing I would do would be to intentionally alienate the parents so that my influence was removed entirely and my voice silenced. If you are in fact this child’s only safe harbor, please consider moving more circumpectly (allowing her access to your books; making yourself available for discussions and questions) rather than taking the gamble that through your overly-aggressive if well-meaning actions you yourself are responsible for that safe harbor being snatched away.

But if you don’t see the problem – if in fact to you it boils down to “So what?” – then I genuinely wish you luck. Barnes & Noble awaits.

I say go subversive with stuff that will help her think, but doesn’t look bad on the outside. Comedy stuff is usually best in this case, so I say get her some Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchet.

Good Omens, Small Gods or Pyramids, The Hitchhikers Guide and The Salmon of Doubt would be a good start, and all seem rather innocent at first glance. Maybe hold off on Good Omens, maybe not.

And I see absolutely no reason you can’t buy the books and call them yours, keeping them at your house, until she’s old enough to be on her own, at which point you can gift her with all of them. Then her crazy family can’t say you’re undermining her by giving her books you know they object to; she just, oops, paged through it while visiting you. I have no problem with your plan, but I think it might be improved by a bit more finesse. You can make the same materials available without declaring HERE! WE BOUGHT THESE FOR YOU!

Howsabout Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why, by Bart D. Ehrman?

It’s an accessible, well-reasoned and meticulously researched look at why the Bible cannot possibly be the inerrant word of God, mostly because of how it got recorded, transcribed and translated over its many centuries. Very interesting read.

The Bridge to Terabithia

The best friend of the main character is an atheist girl.

Arrows of the Queen, Arrow’s Flight, Arrow’s Fall (Trilogy)

Different characters have different religious beliefs, sexual orientations, etc. yet are all nice people and respect each other for their respective beliefs.

Um…what are we arguing about, in that case? That’s exactly what I’m doing.

This is what I was going to recommend. The author was an evangelical Christian until he started studying the Bible and ancient languages in depth at a religious college. He learned enough to first challenge his faith, then lead him to agnosticism. He’s the chair of the Dept. of Religious Studies at UNC-Chapel Hill.

Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged
Kenneth Miller’s Finding Darwin’s God
The Golden Compass trilogy
Pretty much any classic sci-fi will get her brain going, and an active brain is your best defense against Fundamentalist religion.

ETA: I just wanted to say how appalled I am at the situation with the girl and her parents. What good is unexamined faith?

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who haven’t caught on to the idea that “but we’ve always done it this way!” is a joke now, rather than a reason.

I second this, and came here to recomend it.

I would also recomend “The Moon is a Harsh Mistress” by Heinlein, although maybe that is one she already had?

Also, “The Dispossessed” by Ursula K. Le Guin, which has much the same feel to it.

I’ll also recomend “Our Man in Havanna” (by Graham Greene?). It is neither fantasy/scifi, nor “sceptic litterature”, but it’s a really funny book about screwing over an irrational authority:D

The “Science of Discworld” books are funny, and the second one deals with human culture and creativity. It suggests why “belief” (not neccesarily religious belief) is in some ways a usefull step on the evolutionary ladder, which may help her deal with some of the nuttery her parents are displaying.

I would never inflict Ayn Rand on someone I liked. Except to help them win the yearly scholarship, if it’s still being given out.

I already thought about His Dark Materials, but I’m ambivalent about it. The writing is beautiful throughout, and *Golden Compass/Northern Lights *is unalloyed brilliance; but Pullman turns Lyra into a twit in the latter two books, and the third book, in particular, is rushed and incoherent plotwise. When I am God-king I shall require him to rewrite both *Subtle Knife *and Amber Spyglass.

Why, it gets you into Heaven, of course. God doesn’t like thinking. The purpose of the brain is to cool the blood, and only interference by Asmodeus is responsible for our cognitive abilities.

I read The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris as a young teen (hey it had naked in the title). It really opened my eyes.

Careful! You’re doing your own limiting on her options, here…

It’s the horror of Ms. Rand’s writing style that vexes me so. Besides, every choice anybody makes is a limiting of options.

Rabbi Jesus by Bruce Chilton and From Jesus to Christ by Paula Fredrikson offer an historical view of Jesus. I’m not Christian, so I found these books to be educational and offer context to Jesus, his preachings, and how they were perceived by his cohorts. From Jesus to Christ might be a bit heady (reads like a textbook) for your niece but if you read it with her it can offer some interesting conversation points.

Another vote for Demon-Haunted World, by Sagan. I read it as a teenager and it blew my mind. I’ve been a skeptic ever since.

Voodoo Science by Robert Park.

Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong (Paperback)

This was a great book for me as a teenager since I enjoyed history, and it was the first book that really blew my mind- my textbooks WEREN’T 100% accurate, the fact that was possible just blew me away, and since then I’ve always been sure to check the sources and learn more about everything.

So yeah, if she likes history, I’d recommend this book- it’s a bit wordy though, and I’d only subject it to someone who ENJOYED the subject. But it does give one pause.

If not that- just get her some Terry Pratchett. That’s the good stuff and everyone enjoys it.

Waiting for the Galactic Bus and it’s sequel, The Snake-Oil Wars might be good. They’re basically about a pair of aliens who got stranded on Earth and started playing God. It’s fun sci-fi that tries to explore what makes human nature, though I’m not sure if it succeeds in that respect or not.