Recommend some ironic songs

I humbly submit Me First and the Gimme Gimmes’ Take A Break album. Good, good stuff, some of it just wrong.

I’m not sure I can agree with your selection of Hurt. Trent’s not upset at the Late Mr. Cash’s cover of the song; quite the contrary in fact:

cite

BTW: Zach de la Rocha is the former frontman of Rage Against The Machine.

Alanis Morrisette’s “Ironic” is ironic because, well, most of her examples of irony aren’t.

Outkast’s “Hey Ya” sounds all bouncy and happy, but it’s really about a relationship going to hell. He’s describing this incredibly angsty disintegrating love, and then he says, “Y’all don’t want to hear me, you just want to dance…” and then just goes off about shakin’ it, which is how his crappy relationship got started in the first place.

Frank Sinatra’s “The Lady is a Tramp” is completely ironic.

Jack Jones performing Every Breath You Take as a breezy swing ballad.

Lesbian folkie Phranc’s take on the Rodgers & Hammerstein standard I Enjoy Being a Girl.

Another song that would fit this thread is the bluegrass cover of Ratt’s 80’s hair-metal hit “Round and Round” by The Meat Purveyors.

And speaking of bluegrass, the Gourds did a good (and hilarious) bluegrass cover of Snoop Dogg’s “Gin and Juice.” (Although for years, this song circulated around file-sharing programs mislabeled as either by Phish or Ween.)

How ironic.

Ah luv bluegrass.

I love it even more when it’s Hayseed Dixie doing a cover of Spinal Tap’s “Big Bottoms”, the original version being ironic enough without the pickin’ & grinnin’ treatment. Actually, everything on that album is pretty damn ironically awesome.

“Big Ten Inch” by Aerosmith is an old fav.

“Big Balls” (ACDC) anyone?

“Whole Lotta Love”…yeah, Robert Plant wants to give you a great big hug…

Oh, man, the phallocentrism rampant in the aforementioned “cawk rawk” is an endless mine of ironic fun.