Recommended cooking knife set?

Sorry that it took a while to get back, here is the update…

She’s now wanting to know about Chicago Cutlery’s stainless steel set. Tell them your friend purchased Henkels and this brand and she really likes CC better but someone told her they aren’t the greatest. She loves the feel and she thinks they cut better than Henkels and she wants your professional opinions.

Cooks Illustrated recommends the following:
8 inch Chef’s knife

Boning Knife

Sharpener (I have this - it works very well.)

They also recommend a Victorinox Forschner 4" paring knife, but I can only find the 3.5" for sale.

And a Wusthoff 10" bread knife for about $90.00. I would never spend that on a bread knife, but everything else they recommend is nicely priced, and I have a high degree of trust in their recommendations.

Are those really any good? I ask, because I keep hearing those things aren’t worth it/will ruin your knives, but the “rod on a stand” things are almost 10 times as expensive, seem to be unavailable over here and anyway, that money I can probably better spend on a better knife and the occasional professional sharpening.

Mine works great. You have to use it with a light touch though, or it’ll grind off too much metal. There’s lots of imitators, but this specific model seems to always get hight recommendations.

I second the idea that the knife should be comfortable to the person using it. I prefer a wide blade for heft when cutting. The length of the blade should be determined by how comfortable it is to rock and cut food. A good pairing knife should have a long enough handle to fit securely in the hand.

Another thing to consider is a knife sharpener. An expensive knife is useless if it’s dull. I would recommend a 2 angle, 2 grit, ceramic sharpening set.

Don’t do it. A gift of knives cuts friendships

:slight_smile:

Chicago Cutlery knives look nice, but they don’t hold an edge worth a damn. Or at least the ones I had many years ago didn’t. I was always sharpening the damn things. Also, I didn’t like the wooden handles.

I agree. I have one in the drawer to put on a quick edge.

OK, thanks for that. Any other responses?

If you get a sharpener, you have to make sure its sharpening angle matches the angle on your knives.

I’ve heard that the ceramics are good, but brittle (which makes sense) - I don’t know anyone with direct experience with them though. Anyone here try them?

She has the new stainless steel ones. They seem to hold an edge pretty well. She uses the steel on them regularly and sharpens them every one-to-two weeks. Is this normal?

Depends on the amount of use, of course, and how they are stored/handled.

garygnu: that’s the reason I like the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It does regular edges, back bevel, and will sharpen almost anything, including scissors, bread knives, razor blades, fishing hooks, etc.

After 20+ years using the so-so Chicago Cutlery block we got as a wedding present, we just bought ourselves some nice knives for x-mas. Got a set of 3 shun’s at William-Sonoma for @ $200. 8", smaller serrated, and paring - the 3 knives we wanted.

Agree with what others said about it being a personal choice. They do feel very differently in the hand.

I have the Forschner knives - they’re excellent and amazingly cheap. You really just need the three (I’d say the bread knife is necessary, myself.)

That’s why, if someone does give you a gift of knives, you give them a coin in return. Then it’s a purchase, not a gift. :slight_smile:

Does anyone know the origin of the “Don’t give knives as gifts meme”?

My girlfriend is a strong believer in it. Being Chinese, she claims its Asian in origin but didn’t have any other details.

Sorry for the hijack.

My mom remembers her mom telling the meme to her, and that’s about as anti-Asian as you can find. (Arkansas, 1930s)