Red Dead Redemption 2 - my thoughts while I play

PS3 and Xbox 360, and as I was told in another thread on this very forum, the Xbox 360 version is playable on Xbox One.

Oh ok, I may get a chance to play it then.

Thanks. Still surprised they don’t take the time to port it over to PC. Seems like a reasonably obvious decision with the release of #2. The GTA games and RDRD2 are all on PC.

I just reached a part where Arthur told John to get his family and leave. John hinted his wife knows where some of the money is.

I think Dutch will attempt to get all the cash and ditch everyone, revealing the full level of his loser-ness. If there is a primary antagonist, I think it is Dutch at this point. I can not stand him, which I have now said almost as much as he reassures everyone that he has a plan.

I admire this game greatly. I think I could load it up after I beat it and just hunt all the animals down just for fun. I did some hunting, especially to cook food at my camps, but did not go all in on the hunting aspects of the game.

You are going much faster than I did. I wasn’t trying to get 100% completion but I did do every side mission, caught every legendary fish and animal and looked to find some of the more interesting extra bits.

Did you read a synopsis of the plot of RDR 1 before playing RDR 2? Just curious.

Nope. 100% blind here other than knowing John is the main character of the first game and I guess the fact I know this one is a prequel to that one.

Let’s see. My game clock from the Rockstar Launcher is at 39 hours of gameplay at this point. I did do more side-missions starting around Chapter 4. I have not left any* side missions that have character initials in them, but I have left some that are just “?” symbols.

*to my knowledge

I just saw Chapter 6 is the last main chapter, but there are two epilogues? How long are those?

The epilogue could almost be a game all on its own. I really enjoyed it, but many people didn’t. I’ll be interested to see what you think.

OK. I guess it must be quite the change if it is that different. Thanks.

Not so much different as long.

Huh. OK, well I have a journey ahead of me I guess.

When I played through it, I got sidetracked in my quest to get the Legend of the East satchel, and ignored actual missions for about a solid month while I basically played the game as a hunting/fishing/camping simulator.

This is what I was thinking as well. I kept a saved game from when the game was at its most open and I had a pretty decent setup going.

I figure I can go back to that save and just walk(ride) off into the wilderness and hunt and survive without ever having to go back to talk to Dutch or anyone else.

Hey, I still gotta kill that Legendary Bear they showed me early on.

I think you get a chance to just keep playing. I can’t remember how they implement it though.

In Death Stranding you play the end of the story and then get reset to just before that point and can do whatever you like for however long you like.

To be honest, I’d had enough of it by then. I tend to do all the exploratory stuff in the beginning and middle of big games like RDR2. Moving on to the final story chapters is generally a sign that I’ve become bored with the game.

With a shot gun or one of the powerful scoped rifles it’s not that hard. It’s not possible to harm a legendary pelt so blast away.

I had a day off work unexpectedly and was alone(kids at school, etc.), so I doubled down and played all day.

1. I completed Chapter 6. I thought I had done all key side-missions, but apparently made a mistake and missed a Mary-mission because she left me a farewell-letter. I was pretty careful about searching the map for white-missions, especially those that had named-characters as part of them.

Anyway, I accept that I screwed up and that is the way it ended. Hey, can it end any different with Mary? I am playing blind and have no idea.

1. I liked, but did not love, the Native American story-line in chapter 6. It was good, but not my favorite of the chapter stories.

2. The final missions were exhilarating. The train robbery was amazing and bookended the game really well. It was a lot of fun and I felt way more powerful and experienced doing it again. Great example of growth and also my own understanding and improvement at the game.

3. I began the epilogue as a farm ranch(John, obviously) and got up to one mission that used guns(fighting the Laramie gang).

I feel comfortable enough now to give a general review of my feelings:

Wow. Just wow. What a game. I’ve hardly played a game with more content and I’ve played Witcher 3 and both of its DLC’s. I beat Persona 4 in about 90 hours and I feel like this game was longer even though I am at about 45 hours* right now.

This is an amazing game. I was completely committed to the story and gameplay. It’s really a true 10/10(or maybe 9/10) and I think I liked it more than Witcher 3, another game I had on my playlist that I got to play a few months ago.

I was not sure about this game in Chapter 1 and 2, but once you get the long learning curve out of the way, it is a masterpiece. One of the great games of the PS4 generation of games.

I still can not believe how much dialogue and detail there is in this game. In terms of open worlds, I’d rank the best open world games I’ve played like this:

1. Breath of the Wild
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. Witcher 3
  4. Skyrim? Or maybe something else here. Fallout New Vegas? I’m not sure.

I felt the same about RDR 1, where you fight Dutch and his Native American allies towards the end.