Reformed alcoholics?

As a formerly pregnant woman - I’d agree with whomever posted upthread…

If the event was “happy hour” - it sucked. Visibly pregnant women have another problem in that even if you are sticking to water or soda, you are in a BAR and can expect the evil eye.

At an event at which drinks were served, but secondary, no big. Although sometimes a glass of wine looked really good.

#1: No.
#2: No.
This is what I have experienced, others have their own opinions. Some of my friends went back to drinking; some of them died as a consequence. Tough! Nobody can keep you from drinking, it’s up to the individual. I have been lucky for 34 years now.

That is why I used the word recovering.

My mom is an alcoholic, so is her husband, brother, and her dad (was). I am 34 and have had my own struggles with alcohol, but I consider the worst of them behind me. Over the last year I have cut my drinking down by about 80% and during that time I came to grips with how damaging alcohol has been to my body and mind.

My cravings for alcohol are somewhat self-limiting by the consequences of binge drinking, which let’s just say are much worse than they were a decade ago, and I believe this is normal as we age.

I have proved to myself that I can self-audit and change my behavior based on how I am feeling overall. I also am not an emotional drinker. I drink simply to feel good, and if the costs are outweighing the benefits, I drink less.

I would also like to add that while I believe that predisposition to addiction has a genetic component, I also find compelling new research (the rat parkexperiments) that show addiction to be largely the result of external influences or lack thereof. For example, I believe if you offered a million dollars for a self-identified alcoholic to abstain for five years, the vast majority would do it.

First, congrats on cutting back on your drinking.

Second, not drinking for money, for a limited time, 5 weeks or 5 years, while profitable, does not mean a person has gained control of an addiction IMO and a lot of people who study addiction.

If you find someone who will make that offer, go for it, I would have. he he he :smiley:

Even if you are not an addict, say you are. Free money from fools is fair game IMO. :cool:

I never had that offer but I did turn down some surprising things to just slow down my drinking. Looking back from a position of long term sobriety, it is one of the things that shows how much of an alcoholic I am. :smack:

My uncle is an ex-alcoholic/reformed-alcoholic/alcoholic-who-doesn’t-drink anymore, and these days he smokes a fuck-tonne of weed as a substitute. It’s not very good for his mental health, but better than the booze was.

1. Not really. Some.

2. Yeah, when I can. Work stuff I can avoid. Family stuff I can’t, especially now that my wife is conveniently “too sick” to go–and it’s HER FAMILY! :mad:

I know I’d go into a tailspin if I tried moderation. Just this afternoon a co-worker was talking about how he’ll have to cut down when he retires. I caught myself thinking, but not saying, that he’d just have to shift to the $10 1.75L vodka, like I did.