Rendezvous with Rama-are they actually making this?

Didn’t work. I still remember them :eek:

I thought it was a happy ending.

All of humanity, except one, going to the OverMind is not a happy ending? Except maybe for the Overlords.

I, on the other hand, happily forget them.

Hoping it’ll be a well done, intelligent science fiction film, as befits a book full of mysteries and wondrous enigmas.

Consider yourself lucky. They got worse as they went on. For a real treat read Cradle by Lee, after an idea by Clarke. It has some of the worst writing I’ve ever experienced in an sf book, and I’ve read Galaxy 666 by Pel Torro.

Shoot. I bought book 1 'cause I like Clarke. Then I had to get the rest (there’s like, 4 or 5, right?) just 'cause. I’ve made it up to #3 in the past year, but I’ve got to say… finding weird stuff that doesn’t get explained combined with protagonists with outrageous personality problems gets old. :frowning:

I hope Rendezvous with Rama gets made, I loved the book and never bothered with the sequals. BUt I’d like the see The City and the Stars made into a good movie even more.

Actually, I don’t think it will make a good movie. Very few movies can work when nothing really happens. Although it could work for a purely cinematography standpoint if they really get the feel of the size of the thing.

I like the sequals, but more for the characters than the story, whereas the first book the characters weren’t as prominant as the ship.

When I read the first line, I was thinking “God no, that book was awful.” Then I read the rest of it.

So that’s what the deal was with Cradle. I didn’t mind the three Clarke & Lee Rama sequels (in the same way that I don’t mind Chichton [for example], even though I know they’re not always what you’d call ‘good’ books), so I thought I’d give Cradle a try. Yeeechhsh. WTF was that?

Anyway, a movie based on the original Rama book could be really good, or it could be Hollywoodised beyond all recognition (such as has apparently happened with the forthcoming I, Robot movie). Personally, I’m doubtful that it’ll ever even happen, given that it’s been in ‘pre-production’ for years.

still, if Fincher gets his act together, ill definetly go see.

im gonna go get these Rama books, see whats happening. only then can i judge if theyve made a pie out of it. like they did with Hannibal. not sci-fi i grant you, but could it have been any worse compared to the book?

Rendevous with Rama is a ‘*Wow - loolitthat big structure’ *book; nothing else interesting really happens;
it makes you think about the possibility of megascale engineering, but not much else.

Orbitsville by Bob Shaw is another;
a movie that falls into this category is Star Trek - the Motion Picture, and nothing much happens in that either.

However some 'Wow - loolitthat big structure’ * books do have stories attached- Niven’s ** Ringworld* has a nifty detective story built in, and Greg Bear’s Eon has lots of things to say- so perhaps the filmmakers should be looking elsewhere.

SF worldbuilding at
http://www.orionsarm.com/main.html

Hey, if they ever make Childhood’s End into a movie, who wants to bet there will be people who say that the opening is stolen from Independence Day?

Hmmm…One could make the same argument about 2001: A Space Odyssey (and some have). There’s potential there – and things do happen; it’s not just “Look at that big THing!”. It’s true that you won’t find character development, or any kind of a resolution. But you could say the same of 2001. The interior of Rama could be rendered beautifully with CGI, if a beautiful movie is what you’re after.

As for other big structures, I don’t know of any good books about Dyson Spheres. Bob Shaw wrote two – “Orbitsville” and “Orbitsville Departure”, but his point was that they’re so damned big, they swallow civilizations and nothing happens. There’s a Star Trek novel and there was one Star Trek episode nominally about Dyson Spheres, but they weren’t really – the sphere was basically a prop/McGuffin. Dyson spheres get mentioned in other books, like James Hogan’s “Giant’s Star”, but they’re effectively off-camera. (I haven’t read Bear’s “Eon”).

It seems like nobody knows what to do with a Dyson Sphere once they get it into a story. “Rama” and Niven’s Ringworld, although both huge structures, don’t seem as featureless as those Dyson spheres, and their creators gave them interesting inhabitants and quirks. (I might also add Tony Rothman’s giant world from “The World in Round”, too.)

whats a dyson sphere?
(whoosh! its obviously some big massive shpere)

I’m going to keep pushing this idea until someone takes it up.

Rendezvous With Rama and Childhood’s End are two perfect examples of classic science fiction texts that would work much better animated than live action. Anime steals from them all the time–Blue Gender, for example, is closer to the Heinlein version of Starship Troopers than that godawful movie. It would be much cheaper to write the scripts and hire some Japanese directors and animators to produce them, either in feature length or classic anime TV serial form. With less money invested, the writers and directors would be free to take more chances, content wise. And the smaller budgets would also mean they had a better chance of making their money back. They would have two built-in audiences–science fiction fans and American anime fans that would finally get something written in English and thus avoid the bad translations and mysterious Japanese cultural tropes that have so far relegated anime to the ghetto on this side of the Pacific. These audiences have some significant overlap but not 100%. And then you could sell the dub and subtitled versions to the already-primed Asian market.

What is a Dyson Sphere? Basically, it’s a sphere (or by extension, any structure) large enough to enclose a star. I’m sure someone will come along with even better links.

I’ll also chime in here and say that I thought that the Rama idea should have ended with the first book. The second was kind of interesting, but the rest got way too self-important as they tried to explain too much. I don’t remember enough of the first book to comment on whether it’d make a good film. If they do, it’ll be like the movie Sphere, that had a good cast but pretty much slipped under everyone’s radar.

Cervaise, not that I’m doubting you, but do you have a cite for those “top of your head” figures? Seems pretty unbelievable.

Nothing I can easily link to, unfortunately. It comes from over a decade of close observation of and occasional involvement with the industry. If anything, I’m lowballing the figures. Based on the vast amount of material that gets worked on but never produced, it’s quite possible for someone to make quite a tidy living in Hollywood without ever seeing a single project come anywhere near a movie camera.

Well, here’s how I envision the movie turning out, because, y’all are right, “wow, lookit that” movies are too slow and boring to pass muster in Hollywood:

They’ll have to play up what action there is. That means we’ll have gripping sequences on the piloting of the Dragonfly along Rama’s zero-gravity hub and the subsequent crash. Surely they’ll play up the appearance (and capture) of the three-legged spider things a great deal. The thawing of the central lake will surely be the major action sequence, and I reckon that can be turned into a pretty good one. Imagine, all that ice rumbling and splitting and erupting. Could be excellent, eh? And then, of course, there’ll be the grand finale, Rama approaching Earth and the sun and the nuclear device… overall, I reckon there’ll be enough action to sustain it.

BTW, there was a Rendezvous with Rama game a long time ago. I had a copy for the C64, but never had time to get very far.

The problem with any movies set in Dyson Spheres (or books for that matter) is that they are just settings, not plots. Ringworld worked because it included a pretty standard trek plot. (Not Star Trek - just journey). And good characters. RwR ended with a nice mystery - but alas, Lee’s solution was utterly feeble. I’d love to see the real solution sometime, but it’s not likely.

For Voyager, in response to his post about “Childhood’s End”:

From what I remember, not all humanity crossed over. Only the final generation. The rest lingered on, slowly dying off one by one until there were only a handful left. And those very last ones competed in terrible bloodsports to hasten the end. Further, the evolved humans who did cross over destroyed the Earth while playing around with their new powers. Humanity as we know it was completely wiped out in lieu of these new super beings.

No, I don’t think it was a very happy ending at all.

There is also Stephen Baxter’s The Time Ships, a sequal to H. G. Wells’s The Time Machine. A few of the chapters take place in a Dyson sphere built by the Morlocks.