repairing an ethernet cable

Going by the fact that he’s only mentioning 4 of the wires, I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt that he was speaking “for example”, and assume the red and red/white are one twisted pair, and not going for an accurate pinout. In which case he’s right.

In most setups, you can also make the mistake of connecting tx+ to rx- and tx- to rx+ and have the switch and nic figure it out. (IOW, if 3 goes to 6 and 6 goes to 3). Not that you should want to do that, but if you do it accidently, that’s why it still works.

-lv

My hubby said you just hit hero status. That’s what the problem is without a doubt. I wouldn’t let him buy a crimper for $40 at Office depot. I’ll find one online for him.
At least the computer I disconnected is a spare.

To everyone else, you are all heros in my book. I know answering my computer questions is like trying to teach a parrot physics.

I’ve used this ugly, but easy way. Just get a $5 jumper cable, cut it in half, and splice the wires. Red to red, etc.

There are cute little button splicers that work fine. But twising the wires together will work, sortof.

Try to keep the untwisted part sort, but it’s not all that critical.

Berkut & Odaran,

If building a cable from scratch, you’re right you need to pay attention to get the right pairs of pins on separate twisted pairs of wire.

But for the OP’s problem, where one end is factory made, and the other end is cut off & needs replacement, all they need to do is blindly match the colors of the new end to the colors on the old end. The factory will (presumably) have gotten the pin/wire pairs installed correctly on their end.

That was my original point

I find it humorous that when trying to educate a damsel in distress, you rather end-up educating each other :rolleyes: no worries guys, I’m sure picnurse has enough hero medals for all of you.

Thanks!
Buyer beware:
The company bought me a cheap crimper with teeth that don’t line up. They had to buy me a more expensive one that works.

Oh, absolutely. I just didn’t want someone reading the thread to get the impression that generally, the wiring doesn’t matter. I run across a lot of miswired cables that were built by people who didn’t know it makes a difference.

Medals all around!
We got the crimper, after the learning curve, the RJ-45s were perfect! One small problem it doesn’t work. :mad: He checked the wire pattern, it appears to be correct white/orange, orange, white/green, blue, white/blue, green, white/brown, brown . The wire is labeled “Cat-5-B general cable J EMG 4 pair”
What did we do wrong?
Maybe when we finally get it right it will be cookies instead of lame old hero medals
Thanks once again.
M :slight_smile:

Do the wires match with the ones in the other end? you havn’t turned the whole thing around so that what is left on one end is right on the other? Do you get a link light on the hub/network card?

As a quick check…with the contacts pointed to your right and the retaining clip down, that’s the correct order from the top down. If it’s reversed then you’ve probably found your problem.

Most frequent mistakes I make are:
Wire ends not all the way into plug
Not crimped hard enough
colors dot the same on each end.

Sometimes the only way out of this mess is to cut both ends off and recrimp them. One wire (out of the eight) screwed up could make your cable not work.
Make the wires longer as you get them in the proper order and then whilst fimly grasping all of them cut them all the same length just before you slide them into the rj-45. IOW, start out with a good two inches of stripped wires and then arrange them in the correct order then cut them to the proper length then slide them into the connector. Again, both connectors should be exactly the same color for color while looking at the same side of the connector and reading from right to left.

Are these solid or stranded wires?

They are solid. Ant that’s exactly what we did and all is well! It works, my new computer works and my husband’s works. We can’t have all there on line at once, but, I knew that. The only reason we wanted the old G-3 on line is to be able to transfer information to and from the new ones.
Thank you one and all. Your patience with me has been, as always, saint-like. If you lived in my neighborhood, I’d be baking cookies right now. :smiley:
So…until my next stupid question…
M

By the way, if you want all three (or just the two you use a lot) online at once, routers are getting pretty cheap. I see that buy.com has a GigaFast 10/100 4-port router for $25. We’ll talk you through setting it up if you want. :slight_smile:

Just to pour fuel onto this fire . . . if it were me, and I had a long cable going through walls, I’d cut off the end and wire it as a wall jack and just get a patch cable to run to the switch/hub/router/nic.

Of course you’d have to buy a punch-down tool instead of a crimping tool . . .

CP’s primary networking rule:

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

That is a good all-purpose rule but, in this case, I believe it is broke! :rolleyes:

I actually wonder how they got it through the floor and walls with the rj45 connector intact in the first place.

Easy! Drill a hole big enough for the connector to fit thru. You usually leave room anyway, to make pulling the cable easier.

Yeah, what he said. :slight_smile:

galt We have a couple routers, but Comcast, our cable provider charges for each IP address. Its only an extra $5.00 a month, but there are just tthe two of us. One computer upstairs, and two down, so there’s no way we can use all three at once anyway.