Replacing the lower end of a 99 Denali engine

If you do a used engine, you want the whole engine, not a short block. For one thing, I doubt it’d be worth the cost of paying someone to swap the heads. You also can’t compression test a short block or check the oil pressure. I suppose maybe a junkyard could test the engine, then pull the heads off and sell you the short block but I’ve never heard of that happening.

Of course another option is to buy a used engine… inside a used truck. The Denali is pretty snazzy, but big SUV’s in general aren’t exactly uncommon or expensive on the used car market.

When I was working (auto mechanic) we did crankshaft kits which was the cheapest way of repairing but I guess no one does that anymore. I haven’t heard of anyone offering this option.

@morgenstern & @GreasyJack
For the low-cost alternative I looked at craigslist. Look like a few good deals. Full engine for under $1000 and willing to install (I’m assuming for a price).

Everyone who has answered this thread, when you’re in my area I owe you a beer.

The one used car I saw that would make sense to buy for the part said something like “problem with the engine” :smack:

At least they told you so you wouldn’t be stuck with a lemon but then what kind of problem with the engine?

There are three thing to go wrong and that’s fuel, electrical and mechanical. As long as it’s not mechanical you might have a deal there.

Just to be clear, by “a used engine… inside a used truck” I meant scrap this truck and just buy a new-to-you one. I’m guessing this truck is worth maybe $3-4k realistically. If you can get a used engine in there for $2k-ish, great, but I’d at least have a look-sy at what kind of other old big SUV’s are for sale out there before dropping $3.2k on this one, let alone whatever a new long block would cost.

So I think I’ve decided. Find a cheap long block for less than $1000 and pay for an install. Should run me less than $2k total and there seem to be a fair number of remanufactured Vortec 5.7s out there at that price point only a couple hundred dollars more than one just torn out of a truck. It looks like the deal for them is in the money they make off the install and the fact that they keep the old engine. As long as I get to keep the crankshaft position sensor I just paid for PLUS as long as a full engine is going in I’ll be putting in new spark plugs and wires too.

Which now leads me to this question - anything else that I should replace with new during this process? Gaskets? Water pump? Belts? Anything?

Belts and hoses for sure.