Reprehensible art that's also great art?

You don’t spend much time on Wikipedia, do you? Attaching nude pictures to articles is a very popular pasttime there. Sometimes the article itself is really just an excuse to post a nude picture. There’s really no other explanation why someone would create an article on (to use a random example) Gluteal sulcus.

I said it was banned. The Wikipedia page you refer to mentions that. :rolleyes:

I didn’t say it was banned everywhere or that it stayed banned.

TCMF-2L

So, you’re working from mostly true to absolutely true? At the end of the day, they were suckers who were fighting for the rights for another group of shit heads to own another person, no matter what they were led to believe. If you think differently, open thread in GD (it’s been done before), and I’ll bother with you there.

I wasn’t challenging to you. It’s just funny that this terribly controversial, reprehensible bit of art is more or less plastered everywhere you look if you Google “Virgin Killer”.

Even turning on safe search just makes the image smaller.

For a post like this, Robert Mapplethorpe’s work comes to mind. He intended it to be shocking and outre, and it was, but his photographic skills is unquestionable.

I wouldn’t call it reprehensible, but looking through Necronomicon (one of H.R. Giger’s books of paintings) always leaves me feeling impressed yet a little creeped out. To me it seems that he was gifted, inspired, and deeply disturbed. Some of his work is hideous and beautiful at the same time.

Sacrificing your life so that someone else can own people isn’t all that noble, either.

The narrator of “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” didn’t fight for the Confederacy; he was just a poor schlub who happened to live down south and have his shit fucked up by the war. I’ve never had an ethical problem sympathizing with him.

His BROTHER, however, did take a rebel stand. He was just 18, proud and brave, but a Yankee laid him in his grave.

But they didn’t know that for the powers that controlled the Confederacy, the war was most definitely about slavery. The average Confederate bought the propaganda that Union aggression started the war, rather than a few rich slaveowners throwing a fit because the 1860 election didn’t go their way.

Any American who thinks the average German in the Third Reich or the average Confederate was as evil as Hitler needs to look in the mirror. The US has done and continues to do some horrible things in our name. Yet we mostly buy the propaganda that our country is one of the good guys and the atrocities we’ve committed are unavoidable mistakes or rare flukes. The fact is, there is no good government. But everyone gets told theirs is the exception often enough that they start to believe it.

Well, I don’t mean to equate the average southerner to worst of the south’s politicians, But I do feel a little similarly about Das Boot, and if video games count as art in this discussion, Aces of the Deep. The former I’ve watched in just about every edit, and enjoyed it tremendously. They do address the ambivalence of the average German to the cause in the movie. But what keeps it from being something that I’m torn about is that it’s not plaintive or glorious. Their lot in life generally sucks, even when it does work out. They’re mostly killed in the end, which makes the whole thing seem pointless,

The latter, I’ve played for far longer than I’m really proud of. I can make Otto Kretschmer look like a chump (but I don’t have to fear for my life). No matter how you slice it, it’s a game where I’m starving England so Hitler can win. That actually bothers me a bit when I’m searching for convoys to sink. My only excuse is that it’s a really good game, and it’s difficult. I don’t restart careers in that game. In (jeebus!) 20 years of playing, I’ve never lived to 1944. That’s partly a testament to the accuracy of the game, the convoys follow the actual convoy routes, and by the time late 1943 rolls around; if you’re found, you’re probably dead. 80% of German submariners died. I don’t weep for them, other than they were duped (or coerced) into dying for bullshit that was never going to work.

Yep, I still watch that movie and play that game. I still listen to the Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, but the causes their protagonists* were working for make me consider the works great in spite of its subject matter, or even the task I’m presented with. It would probably take a pretty damn engaging song about the plight of the average Kriegsmariner to make me listen to it the way I will listen to The Band.
*I’d say that Virgil Kane’s role in the US civil war is ambiguous. He says he’s like his brother, but he’s not dead. He doesn’t explicitly say he fought as a Confederate soldier, but the verse doesn’t leave a lot of other options without being generous. It’s a song, so that’s fair game, but I don’t hear it that way.

Virgil Caine served on the Danville train, the Richmond and Danville Railroad, virtually the sole purpose of which at the time was moving Confederate supplies and personnel. That’s why it, and the Virginia and Tennessee, were targets for George Stoneman’s Cavalry Corps in the first week of April 1865. There’s no question that Virgil took a rebel stand, and the song honors the pride and bravery of that stand.

But that doesn’t mean that it endorses the cause of the Confederate politicians. It can even be read as a lament that “they” took the very best for that cause. There is nothing pro-slavery in it!

Similarly, I don’t recall any implied endorsement of Nazism in Das Boot.

These works don’t even belong in this discussion. There is no content, no meaning here, which is reprehensible. They are ~nothing~ like Triumph of the Will.

Nonsense. The reason for succession was hardly a secret. The Confederate leadership wouldn’t shut up about how much the war was about preserving slavery. They couldn’t have been more overt about their motivation if they’d printed up t-shirts.

On saturday they had a rerun of Saturday Night at 10:00 from 1976 with The band playing The night they…

I can’t help but think it was a statement for the people who were protesting Trump.

I realize this is a zombie post, but I did look it up. It’s still on You Tube, and I remember watching that on a local TV cartoon show when I was a kid in the 1970s! :eek: It’s not only anti-black racist; it has anti-Japanese imagery in it too, which is relevant because of when it was produced.

And it is brilliant.

When I was in Switzerland I visited the H.R. Giger Museum in Gruyeres (combination ticket with Chateau Gruyeres!), and while I thought I knew what I was letting myself in for after a while I started feeling kind of queasy. At one point I thought “Man, maybe he should have tried painting a landscape or something once in a while”, and then I saw that he had painted a landscape…where the terrain looked like necrotic flesh.

I wound up walking rather briskly through the last few rooms.