[QUOTE=Wendell Wagner]
Colophon writes:
> Seems to me that if you want to eat out in most parts of America, you can
> choose between maybe a dozen different chain restaurants, most of them
> cruddy. Don’t you have real, locally owned restaurants anywhere?
This thread is full of wild exaggeration. The situation in the U.S. is very mixed. There are lots of good restaurants. There are lots of bad restaurants. Some places seem to only have chain restaurants, but other places have many good local restaurants.
[/QUOTE]
Absolutely true. Of course in my current location, you can find just about anything - within a mile of my apartment, I can get Italian in several different places, several varieties of Chinese (authentic), Thai, Laotian, Vietnamese, Swedish, Persian, Lebanese, Algerian crepes, Korean, Colombian, French bistro, various fusion things, Turkish, Japanese (multiple), standard American diner, Mexican (of course), and lesbian haute cuisine - all independently owned, most mind-blowingly yummy, and I’m sure I’m forgetting a few.
But I’ve also found amazing Jamaican food in a strip mall in suburban Florida in a neighborhood inhabited primarily by assisted living communities, and if you go to Bloomington, Indiana, you can have yummy Tibetan food cooked in a restaurant owned by the Dalai Lama’s brother. (I’ve neevr had a good Mexican meal in Florida, true, but I’ve had some amazing Cuban and some wonderful Argentinean food.) The key is following your nose and learning which people you can ask for recommendations in unfamiliar places.
(I did have some truly awful diner breakfast food in rural Ohio once - how can you screw up a scrambled egg and toast, for chrissakes? I can never seem to tell if any given diner in an unfamiliar place is going to be good, or awful)