Restroom doors

Nautical-themed restaurants often have “Buoys” and “Gulls.”

A more devious theme would be seahorses. The pregnant one would be the men’s room.

Yes, and I understand that, we took my Great Grandmother there for her 98th birthday, she has a blast, but yes, she did have to have us read some things for her.

On family vacation near Charleston, SC as a kid, a seafood restaurant labeled the washroom doors ‘Inboard’ & ‘Outboard.’ I didn’t get it for years.

The old pub at UC Riverside (Bull & Mouth) had signs like that. You quickly learned that the Men’s was on the right and didn’t bother getting confused by the signage.

My observation is of the signage on the Staff restrooms at school. In addition to the words, they of course have the standard outline representations of man and woman. The male sign is slim. The female sign…isn’t.

The one I’ve seen was where the men’s room door had a single “bla” and the women’s door was covered in “bla bla bla bla bla”

And when all else fails, the men’s room is on the left because women are always right. (Not sure I agree…)

Whatever, just wash your hands, please!

According to Rich Hall’s “sniglets” being confused by themed restaurant restroom doors is known as genderplex.

I was in a nasty, dirty, dive bar. There was a single restroom, with a sign that read, “NO COUPLES!!” hand painted on the door.

Let’s not forget the kids.

Or hobbits, maybe. Is it in New Zealand?

I don’t think it said. Didn’t notice.

I had the same experience at a Chi-Chi’s restaurant in the 1980s when I was about 8 or 10. Not knowing any Spanish at all, I just had to guess which was the right one, and I was right.

A few years ago I was in Maastricht, the Netherlands, and one set of bathrooms was marked by single letters corresponding to M (men) and W (women) but in Dutch. Again I just took a guess and was correct.

My first trip into a Starbuck’s had me confused by unlabeled doors of its two one-holer, no urinal, pansex bathrooms. My question is, why are these types commonly referred to unisex bathrooms?

“Unisex” as a term actually meaning “pansex” dates from the liberated late 1960s. Didn’t make sense then either. At least not to anyone who was thinking. Must’ve been all the pot smoke & free love.

Anyhow, I grew up in SoCal in the 1960s. At a time when substantially everything was new in the last 15-20 years. So everywhere had separate bathrooms for men & for women.

At about age 35 I move to St. Louis, a city whose heyday was 1880-1930. Lots of public places like shops & restaurants in the old parts of town were small, cramped, and had just one unisex (=pan-sex) bathroom. Really felt weird for the first year or so.

I guess that’s less confusing than labeling them bisexual bathrooms.

But not nine. Because you remember you were an even number of years old…

Thank you for the reminder-I really miss that place.

Crab races!

It is where I got hooked on amaretto sours.

Uni refers to the room itself I think, so one room for all the sexes. (Not rooms for the one and only sex)