RFID Blocking Passport Wallets

Yes, these were large stickers on retail products. I did not realize that the RF technology was significantly different between these and the passport tags. I shall have to find a sample and play.

Please share any interesting/amusing results with us.

What about putting it in a standard holder with sheets of foil tucked behind it? When open, I assume it would still read correctly, but when closed, not be readable.

Which kinda brings us back to making your own.

I’m asking about using an existing card case and sticking two sheets of foil in it, not a duct tape extravaganza.

Anecdotally, this is not the case for me. Every flight in recent memory (maybe 12-15 domestic flights and 2-3 international flights in the last 5 years), I have walked through the metal detector with my billfold in my pocket. Never been hassled about it (although it’s never set off a detector, either.)

Exciting smashy suggestions notwithstanding, I found and bought an RFD blocking passport case (with room to stow some credit cards) for $14.50 from AAA.

Let us know what happens when you hit the metal detectors. I’m rather curious.

I will. It will go through the machine rather than remain on my person, however.

This reminds me of something I was told in a photography club back in college about the “X-Ray Proof” film cases. If they can’t scan through the case in the X-Ray machine, the first instinct of many x-ray operators is to crank up the rays for a few seconds until it penetrates.

That said, every airport I’ve been to has required me to open my camera and hand them the individual rolls of film for inspection (it’s a non-invasive inspection for the film; they daub the outside of the canister with a swab and run it through some sorta Junior CSI chemistry lab machine thingy, none of that pulling the film out stuff you see in bad movies).

That said, in the military, we occasionally discuss (in a purely hypothetical manner) different methods that you could “accidentally” damage our ID cards so we could get new ones. These discussions largely inspired by the universally unflattering “Serial Killer Mugshot” photos we got for our ID cards during basic. Suggestions included accidentally slamming it in a car door or potentially melting it by ironing it (after forgetting to remove it from a BDU pocket, of course). I don’t advocate the intentional wanton destruction of government-issued documents, of course (plus, in my case, my ID card fell apart all by itself and was replaced by another with an equally unflattering ID picture that made me look fat despite being only a headshot)