Rich Vos uses racist slurs against Indigenous members of audience in Winnipeg comedy show

Vos could have headlined any comedy club in the English speaking world. He may not be famous the way Bill Burr or Amy Schumer are famous, playing arenas, but he’s WAY above headline-a-comedy-club successful and is well known in the comedy world as a reliably funny headliner. Any comedy club would have delighted to have him…

… or would have. This will require a major apology to fix his career. Maybe a stint in rehab to blame it on drugs or booze.

First place my mind went. According to Wikipedia:

After struggling with crack cocaine and alcohol addiction throughout his 20s, Vos completed a one-month rehabilitation course in 1987, three years into his comedy career. He has been clean since.

So … who knows …

[NB: not intending to summarily disparage all of those with Substance Use Disorder…]

Eh, he’ll be fine. He’ll get to play the victim card and cash in with right wing audiences.

I’m glad I’m not the only one to struggle with the name.

The only thing that popped into my noggin was Betsy DeVos.

mmm

That’s the most disturbing thing I’ve read in a while.
:wink:

Have you met her brother, Erik ?

Thankfully, no.

Especially followed immediately by @Mean_Mr.Mustard ´s signature, which could be misconstrued in that context.

I doubt that will work. He’s very upfront about being a former crackhead. He’s been clean for decades.

For that post I shoulda changed my name to Irritable Captain Ketchup.

ick

:grin:

Extra icons added at random to satisfy the Discourse gods:

:disguised_face::smirk_cat::woman_fairy:t6::thong_sandal::duck::crescent_moon:

Mike Lindell has been “clean” since 2009.

I went back and re-read the CBC article. Apparently the group was becoming loud and disruptive. Still, that’s no basis for racist insults. If he’s as experienced at stand-up as others have mentioned, he should have the skills to shut down raucous audience members without going to racists insults.

Yeah VERY obvious people in this thread don’t know Rich Vos.

Rich Vos was a very long time stand-up who if you know comedy in the past 30 years that isn’t “Oh I only watch comedians with NetFlix specials” you’d know him. He was a poor Jew who had a lot of black friends growing up in New York City (iirc) and he uses the N word a lot in his stand-up but he’s been given “a pass” because he grew up alongside a bunch of other more famous black comedians.

He’s very much a shock/insult comic which in this day and age isn’t very a lucrative career but in the past his comedy has been defended by Amy Schumer and Kevin Hart so he has some standing still.

As an example of his stand-up he has a bit that’s basically “I know Jesus was Mexican, because in the bible it says he will return like a thief in the night”

I recall a joke where he describes sitting Indian style as laying around like you’re intoxicated.

I remember him from Last Comic Standing. He didn’t come across as intelligent, but his shtick was that his dumb commentary was edgy and politically incorrect. This story is not at all surprising.

Being defended by Kevin Hart isn’t really a high mark of character.

:thinking:

Not particularly impressive or insightful or trenchant or clever. It’s merely repetition of old racial and ethnic stereotypes.

Or Amy Schumer these days.

He’s from Plainfield NJ. so not NYC but he was certainly a minority growing up. I don’t know about using the N-word in his act I’ve never seen it but he does go into attack mode when dealing with disruptive audience members. He did start out working black rooms on the black comedy circuit and was even on Showtime at the Apollo.

On shows that have a bunch of comics on they always give him crap for being stupid but will admit he is very quick-witted with jokes and good on stage.