Riemann's posts in 'The Quarantine Zone'

Does it have to be about you, or is anything fair game? Because my knee kind of hurts today.

For the record, I didn’t get that @Riemann came across as a dick as he was basically asking for cites for a statement that, had it actually been verbatim, would have been horribly wrong based on what knowledge we do have.

If someone wants to claim that Matt Gaetz likes MILFs, I’m going to ask for a cite as well.

Pregnant highschoolers are a thing…

As a poster who also took the claim at face value, I appreciated @Riemann’s posts, too. I had been quite worried about this claim. Granted, his reply to me didn’t tell me much, but the other posts did.

I get that the OP’s intent was not to imply that the statement was correct, but that is how I interpret the words “on the basis.” Plus, I mean, Australia was one of the few countries that seems to be doing well with COVID, so I’m going to listen to what they have to say.

Heck, right now, I’m confused about how they don’t seem to be aligning with the CDC. But I’m sure that the confusion is mine.

M could be middle-schoolers.

“Minors”

Much better.

Australia may be able to entirely control covid. That’s tremendously valuable, so they have tight restrictions in order to do that. The US has zero chance of controlling covid. It WILL become an endemic disease at this point. So we are struggling with what compromises we ought to make to best live with our new endemic disease.

I suppose at some point Australia will have to decide if they want to quarantine the rest of the world forever, and perhaps they won’t. But I imagine they want to give every Australian a chance to be vaccinated before they open up.

Well, it’s not just you. One day I find myself getting Pitted for countering the mistaken notion that the Australian government said we have affirmative knowledge that vaccines don’t stop transmission; the next day I’m scratching my head about the CDC effectively saying that the vaccines are so great that we can just declare victory now.

The problem with that is that no compromise seems to have occurred. The CDC has just given the exact data that would show that herd immunity can in fact be reached, yet here they are undermining all attempts to do so.

This should have been an announcement telling businesses that it’s okay to implement vaccine passports if they wish. It should have been telling people that, if we can get X% more people vaccinated, we can stop wearing masks. But it wasn’t. All attempts to try and stop the virus were ended.

There remains a discrepancy between the country that has handled the pandemic the best, and one of those who has handled it the worse, and so I know which one I will lean towards believing.

Both are simplifying for mass consumption, but i believe both are telling the truth. Vaccines greatly reduce the odds that you will spead covid, but don’t completely eliminate that possibility.

I am upset with the new CDC guidance, which i think will be counter-productive. But the science it’s based on is fine. The problem is how the science interplays with public health.

Agreed with this. It feels like the guidance went from ‘we’re all going to die’ to ‘everything’s fine now’. Maybe it wasn’t that drastic, but the tone shift feels too sudden. It feels less believable to me. Nothing that drastic happened in the middle to warrant the huge change in tone, so it feels like one or the other is orchestrated.

Do we think that the CDC is trying to make vaccines seem more enticing to the resisters? “Look, you can come out of the house and take off your mask if you’re vaccinated! See, isn’t that fun?” And to provide a strong message that yes, these vaccines do work and you can trust them to prevent you from getting sick.

But if that’s the strategy, I don’t think it’s going to work. This is the USA, land of COVID deniers.

I just don’t know how the CDC can look at what’s happening in India and go yup, pandemic is over now! There’s no way - and this is just my opinion - that the lack of herd immunity globally, not just in the US, is not going to give rise to a variant that will overcome the vaccine, if it hasn’t already.

I think it’s more like the CDC thinking the hesitant will start thinking “well shit, if people aren’t going to wear masks now regardless of if they’ve been vaccinated it’s a lot more likely I’m gonna get it from someone lying about their status so maybe I ought to get vaccinated before I do.”

A slightly more cynical version of that occurred to me. Maybe they expect infection numbers to actually go up among the unvaccinated, and that this will push hesitant people into getting vaccinated before it gets them.

Upfront: Apologies to Riemann for bumping up a thread with his name on it since this thread has become about something else.

On to the news. . .

lol, they actually had to ask experts on lying to determine that people will lie about being vaccinated once the mask mandates go away. Did anyone need to be an expert to figure this out?!

No problem, I’m not concerned about that