Right-wing populist parties? Was there ever a happy ending?

Hypothetically possible, but that isn’t what actually happened.

Nobody liked the Republican Party when it first came into existence either, or at least it was extremely controversial and viewed as subversive and revolutionary. It’s only in retrospect that it was viewed as the “Grand Old Party.” Just because something isn’t popular or is viewed as dangerous doesn’t mean that it’s not good for the country. You’re falling for the left-right paradigm that oversimplifies the complex issues of our time.

You can make a case for that, although boot legging Joe Kennedy didn’t really make his fortune until the 1940s in real estate, so I’m sure that Jack, Ted and Bobby probably lived for a few years like “ordinary” folks and not the blue blood Kennedys.

Boot leg Kennedy is a myth. I don’t know how it happened but tons of people seem to think bootlegging was how Kennedy made a significant portion of his wealth, and that just isn’t true.

Kennedy was born into a politically connected family, went to Harvard, was a bank president at 25 and a multimillionaire by 1929. He invested wisely before the crash (using insider information and market manipulation primarily–legal in their time) and then with a personal fortune in the millions he invested most of it in real estate during the Great Depression–knowing the prices were massively depressed and would rebound. They did and he ended up being worth hundreds of millions. He made a lot more money off of legitimate gin and scotch importation after prohibition than he ever did bootlegging, which was a minor side line profit maker for him.

John Kennedy never knew life in an “ordinary people” household, he was born to a man who attended Harvard and married the mayor of Boston’s daughter and who raised $50,000 capital to invest in a bank at age 25 (equivalent of $1m today)–Joe Kennedy was neither working class or a bootlegger.

If Future America thinks bigotry, greed, conquest, corruption, and general psychopathic behavior are a “happy ending”, then I really don’t care about their opinion.

No, of course not. But, in this case, the post-“Southern Strategy” GOP never has been good for the country.

You got a better one?

You’re the one who started describing the early republican party as right wing. And now you’re contradicting yourself by saying they were revolutionary rather than reactionary.
The reality is that the early republican party was a progressive reform party that has no relationship to the modern GOP

Now that we’ve ruled out the 1860s Republicans and 1980s Conservatives as right wing populists, are there any examples of RPPs taking power and leading their countries to a happy outcome?

Perhaps you should read Page 21 more closely. A swing of +12% in the lowest classes.

I maintain, and will defend, that the Republican Party is the most radical, and yet simultaneously most conservative party, of any political party that has ever existed, both in the present and in the 19th century.

The current Republican Party can be described as right wing populist, can it not? I don’t know why, but I have some sort of a blind faith in the Republican Party. I just have a feeling that they’re doing the right thing for our country, that they govern from a source of deep-seated wisdom that superficially looks stupid and irrational. I can’t prove it very easily but I’ll try if you insist. =)

Indeed it did - to Bismarck’s vehement disapproval. It’s a rather long and at times convoluted story, but suffice it to say, Kaiser Wilhelm II was a young gun who chafed under Bismarck’s dominance, and ultimately wanted to be as legendary as Friedrich II The Great. He ended up becoming quite the warhawk in the process (without the forbearance of his idol), siding with Austria-Hungary during that unfortunate bit of business that ended in the most disastrous possible way.

How you really interpret it all is up to you, but Bismarck, were he alive today, would be branded quite the conservative, if not an outright reactionary (Blut und Eisen, jemand?), and everything was ok while he was in power.

They’re part of the uniform! Just like the prius and mini cooper!

Well, the OP did say populist. Anything to get votes.

Yeah, yeah. A swing of 12% in the lowest classes but still the only class to consistently give them more than 50% was the middle class. Most of the working class still supported labour.

Go ahead and try.

No, not a single one.