RIP Anne Mccaffrey

Well, I was assuming animation, but anyway, you don’t think people know her books? Even if they didn’t, the stories and characters seem like a natural match for an animated or CGI-rich medium. Not every film needs to be based on a hugely recognizable franchise. I think the crowd who loved “How to Train a Dragon” (or whatever its name was) would probably love this series, especially The White Dragon or the Harper Hall stuff. You’d just need to cut out the whole dragon-mating / sex/rape angle.

Yay! I’m not alone for once. I never really liked F’lar/Mnemoth that much. F’lar wasn’t bad, but Mnemoth struck me as an egotist. I prefer my dragons more down-to-earth. (Yes, I’m aware that’s a bizarre sentence.) I suppose Jaxom/Ruth were good too, but Ruth had issues and seemed a bit too carefully constructed to be cute/pathetic/an audience-pleaser. Also, J’xom is a ridiculously difficult name to pronounce. McCaffrey really did go overboard with her apostrophes – like many a [del]fantasy[/del] sci-fi author, I suppose.

I was very sad when I read this; the Dragonrider books have been reread many times.

Yes, the dragons and firelizards are keening…