Rise of the Warrior Cop Is it time to reconsider the militarization of American policing?

Can they not do both? I’m not seeing any indication that police are ceasing to enforce laws against rape and murder because it isn’t profitable.

Like I said, you’re being quite superficial in your thought process.

I’m sure they can, and generally do. It just seems like a strong incentive to divert resources away from crimes that don’t result in forfeitures.

ETA: I’m not against forfeiture laws in principle. In fact, I rather like the idea of having criminals fund the people who catch them.

Oh, please. I never advanced the idea that individual cops received confiscated funds from drug busts. Face it … you got nothing.

Yes. All those evil pot smokers deserve anything they get!

Piling on, here’s a very recent story out of Oklahoma, where a private security company, who had a contract to train local law enforcement, pulled over vehicles without police being present. Oh, and they got a cut of any asset forfeiture proceeds. (25% per the article.) FTA:

How he’s not in jail now is absolutely mind-bending to me. Isn’t this aggravated assault with a firearm enhancement and false imprisonment when you or I do this?

More goodness:

Seriously, Smapti, this doesn’t scare the shit out of you?

[QUOTE=Evil Captor;16499605And of course, police officers don’t receive confiscated money themselves … officially … that we know of.[/QUOTE]

…Yeah-huh.

I personally don’t have any sympathy for someone who chooses to violate a federal statute which has been the law of the land for 75 years and acts surprised when they get caught and prosecuted for it. It just falls back on the same “The law is unjust because I got caught” argument that one hears from people who get caught speeding, running red lights, and doing other things that endanger innocent lives.

Having large amounts of cash does not equal drug smuggling. (Especially given the rate of drug dog false positives.) The cash is still confiscated anyway. Again, go ask the people in Tenaha how easy it is to get their stuff back in a civil forfeiture action. It’s difficult, when you have the burden of showing that the money weren’t the proceeds of illegal activities.

As you seem to be a member of the “If you’re doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about,” crowd, I wish that you don’t ever run afoul of any of our country’s law enforcement officers. You’ll rapidly find out how wrong that above sentiment really is. Especially in a country with such a tangle of obscure, often contradictory laws that the average professional commits three felonies a day. Which seems crazy, but then so are a lot of sections of the USC.

That said, if you can’t see the giant conflict of interest in a law enforcement community that’s allowed to eat what they kill, then I think our positions are so far apart that there’s no point in discussing this issue further.

The Sal Culosi thing might actually have had its own thread here, I remember this story.

His family ended up getting a $2 million settlement, but of course the officer who raised his gun, pointed it at Culosi, pulled the trigger, and shot him to death wasn’t even charged with anything. I wonder if I’d get away with that.

As to the general issue… I mean, I hate to say this, but it’s it really obvious the police are becoming militarized? The problem in Canada isn’t as bad as it is in the USA, but it’s growing.

Well, I suppose we could always fund the police with a massive tax increase on the middle class instead.

Then shouldn’t you be complaining about the legislature rather than complaining about the enforcers who have no ability to either make or repeal laws?

Do you only allow yourself to complain about one thing? lol.

As has been pointed out to you, there doesn’t even need to be proof of a crime for police to seize money so you don’t even have the “it only happens to bad people” shield to hide behind. But on the other hand “Grrr! Taxes!”. If you can’t see a problem here, I have to agree with Gray Ghost, no point trying to convince you. Hopeless.

We must do WHATEVER IT TAKES to keep teh eeevil drugs off the streets! I don’t care how many civil rights are violated, how many innocent bystanders are killed. Think of the children!!! If even one child is prevented from smoking a joint, it’s worth it.

^Sarcasm, by the way.