Robert Anton Wilson

I first read IT back in, oh, 1985, I think, and it profoundly affected me for a long time. I have re-read it several times, and have also read the Schroedenger’s Cat Trilogy, Illuminati Papers, Cosmic Trigger, and the Historical Trilogy. I still think the IT is best, partly because as I did think for myself more and analyzed information given to me I found it harder to buy some of his Timothy Leary NLP neopaganism stuff. Of course, when reading RAW, one must be aware that even he doesn’t believe most of what he’s saying - that’s the crux of guerilla ontology - but it seemed to me like he was buying it. For example, for Cosmic Trigger to be a joke with the punchline of “Jeez, did you really think I believed all that hooey?” seems like a long way to go for such a small thing.

To support some of the opinions stated, though, I have never found RAW to opt for belief or disbelief, but a more skeptical output. Don’t let anyone decide for you. Understand that we all operate with a set of biases. And once you hold a belief that you feel cannot be challenged, you risk missing a lot.

I found I got much more out of IT every time I read it. My advice when recommending it was to read it once and don’t worry about understanding it, just get through it. Then immediately read it again and THEN you will understand a lot more.

I also agree with ‘Foucault’s Pendulum’ as a great successor to IT. And a more level-headed one. I love FP and have recently finished reading it for the third time.