Robert Parker (RIP) and his wife

I don’t think I ever read anything beyond the original Spenser novels. Having just read his Wikipedia page I do think I’ll check out the Jesse Stone novels.

As much as I loved Robert Parker’s books, I don’t think he was a great prose stylist; it really was his dialog and his ability to capture the Boston area that captivated me.

Parker wrote restaurant reviews in the 1970s.

Hah! I didn’t know that. But it makes perfect sense.

I read the Spenser books as they were published. I stopped after Parker died. The series is still being written by a new author.

Spenser and Susan had an unusual arrangement. They didn’t live together in the later books. Spenser occasionally spent a few days at Susan’s place and then went back to his apartment. It echoed Parker’s marriage. Living together full time created too much conflict. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I guess it worked for them. I like living with my wife. Well, most of the time. :smirk:

Hey, I miss my new Parker fan friends!
Would any of you be interested in starting an online book club? We could choose a particular Spenser novel (or any of his books actually), give everyone a week or so to find a copy, then maybe a week or few days to read the book then set aside a time we can all be online at the same time to discuss it. We could take it even further by agreeing upon a specific cocktail and/or meal from that book to partake in during the discussion.

If there is any interest, we could choose future books in advance and do it again every week or ten days – maybe every other week or once a month would be best.

With the election, and then the holidays perhaps we could slip one in on either the 15th or 22nd of November this year then set one up for early next year (late January or early February perhaps)? If any of you are interested maybe someone could suggest which book with which to start (The Godwulf Manuscript is an obvious choice, but…).

Godwulf Manuscript
Early Autumn
Valediction

Are three of my favorites. Early Autumn is a bit different from the other Spencer books. It focuses on helping a neglected teen to heal and mature. Learn what it means to be a man. The book still holds up really well.

Godwulf is very good. But it is a bit dated. There’s a lot of references to early 1970’s student counterculture. It’s a good introduction to Spencer.

Valediction is a very dark Spencer book. It mirrors Parker’s feelings when he went through a breakup with his wife. Spencer is dangerously out of control in Valediction.

Catskill Eagle continues the Spencer & Susan saga and he has to find her when she gets in trouble. One of the more violent books in the series.

The Parker books are fast reads. They only take a couple hours.

I agree it makes sense to start with Godwulf. Then maybe God Save The Child the 2nd book. That’s when Susan is introduced into the series.

I’m interested in rereading the Parker books. It’s been about 10 years since I looked at them.

I have a copy of The Godwulf Manuscript here at home, I will reserve the others you suggest at my local library. Early Autumn is probably my favorite of all his books.

Valediction is when they started to get complex. I felt uncomfortable and personally invested in those books, even at the end of the stories when things were as resolved as they were going to get I still felt a bit unsettled. I have not read any of those for at least a dozen years.

Thanks for your replies, I look forward to this book club happening.

I decided to bump this thread in hopes that additional Dopers would be interested in joining in a discussion thread for specific books in the Robert B Parker SPENSER series of novels.

Perhaps we could start at the beginning with THE GODWULF MANUSCRIPT with a dedicated thread starting about November 15th (or 22nd if others prefer). We can discuss the book and share opinions, and if we enjoy the experience we can choose another book for the next month and repeat the process. (I am open to anything anyone wants from reading them in order to jumping to favorites to incorporating Parker’s non-Spenser books in the mix.) I have seen this board do similar things with TV episodes and observed that often someone’s comments will lead to a new thought days later from a different participant. Anyone interested besides me and aceplace57?

If there is interest, I may even plan a special meal for myself or arrange to have a specific beverage from that month’s book on hand to partake in while reading and posting into the thread.

I know I’m the one who started this thread so technically I should be interested, but I know myself, and my schedule, too well … if I commit to something regular and ongoing I will either end up being unreliable or cursing myself for having overscheduled myself. Having said that, I would be happy to participate on an occasional basis.

Well let’s try this.
On or shortly before November 22nd, I will start a thread titled something like: Parker’s The Godwulf Manuscript Book Review. That gives everyone almost a month to read or re-read if they choose (although anyone who cannot read it before then is welcome to comment also) and we can have a discussion. I am very interested in what others think and feel about one of my favorite characters created by one of my favorite authors.

If we enjoy the experience and want to schedule additional books to discuss, we can choose a different book and go again. If it fizzles out, well - we tried.

I recall several years ago a group did this in Cafe Society with a TV show and a good time was had by all. I recall that in the days between “official” discussion dates, people often had additional thought about ideas that other posters introduced that had not occurred to them. I am hoping some of my friends here can help me appreciate one of my favorites even more.

Hope to hear from all of you on November 22nd.

I will try to participate - I have read all of the Spenser novels, and would enjoy re-reading. Temporary_Name, I suggest you start a new thread now called “Robert Parker’s Spenser book club” or something similar, since many people who are fans may not have revisited this thread to read about your idea.

Good Idea. I will do that soon as an advertisement.

Bumping this thread also to remind everyone that next Sunday the 22nd there will be a new Robert B. Parker’s SPENSER book club thread for The Godwulf Manuscript.

All comments will be welcome, even if you have not read that particular book recently. Actually, even if you have never read that particular book, but are a Spenser fan you are welcome to participate. There is still a week so please also consider reading it before then to fully enjoy the experience.

and you notice Susan is in all 3 (but interesting, when Sunny has problem being unable to commit to man she loves, that’s same problem Susan has)

not bad, but felt a little stiff and forced ( I love Chandler)