Robertson: "Will no one rid me of this turbulent king?"

Hey, that’s dangerous talk, suggesting the Earth was moving.

Well, if the Earth is moving, then it’s most likely trying to distance itself from Robertson!

I’m guessing it’s because Chavez hasn’t cut him in on anything profitable like a diamond mine.

Except for that pesky law banning assassination of world leaders. Now, it IS by executive order, and the president could just nix it, but that would be a really, really bad move.

Interestingly, in Pat Robertson’s statement, he refers to “the out-of-control dictator of Venezuela, Hugo Chavez.” And he refers to “Col. Chavez” to suggest that Chavez is a dictator and to obscure the fact that he suggested the assassination of the democratically elected president of a free country.

Actually, I think it can be taken further. Pat’s got some influence. He’s not just some blowhard who no one listens to; he’s been able to afford his broadcast for a generation.

I think this, while in line with Pat’s line of political thinking, is one case where I can really see someone supposedly “on the Christian Right” acting as a propagandist for the Capitalist Right. Then again, didn’t Pat found the Christian Coalition? Those of you who didn’t have them influencing churches you went to may not realize how much they were about indoctrinating churchgoers to be GOP, rather than making the GOP more Christian. So this is right in line.

Anyway, I think Chavez is hated by “First World” business interests because he stands up for his own country. The hard opinion-making, culture-steering core of “the Right” is “First World” business interests, & has been for literal ages. Pat’s obviously under the influence of somebody who thinks that way (whether or not it’s he himself).

And assassinating a popular leader would not solve a problem for the USA so much as make one.

(But hey, I encourage the CIA to do it. I want to see the USA defend itself against an allied world in WWIII. I could sell tickets in other galaxies.

(Oh, wait, this isn’t the Marvel Universe. No thriving trade in alien “observation” of amusingly mad planets for me. Sorry, I was reading a comic book today. With Skrulls. Mmm, Skrulls.)

Anyone else surprised that Robertson didn’t go for the trifecta and say Chavez was performing gay marriages?

Dude, there was a period in my teens when I really believed that. Of course, now I’m pretty leftist on economic issues, so there you go.

I would if the blowhard had a national religious/political following and his own TV show.

But the issue (as posed in the OP) is not whether the government is ever justified/wise in arranging a foreign leader’s assassination, but whether it is ethical, wise and/or lawful for a political commentator to call publicly for such action.

I thought that order got yanked? Either under Clinton or GWB, can’t remember which one…

In any event, IMO overtly calling for the assassination of a foreign leader (especially a democratically-elected one) seems both un-American and un-Christian. But hey, I didn’t blame gays for the 9/11 attacks…

Ethically probably no as it verges on incitement, wise no, lawful probably.

Basically the only truth Pat said is that its cheaper to assassinate rather than go for war… all the rest is just hypocritical or plain out lies.

I’d like to see other right wing conservative ministers calling out fatwas against this extremist mullah. If we demand this of muslim clerics against terrorism… it should follow that we should demand this of American “Clerics”.

As soon as you have a million people voluntarily tuning into your show on a nightly basis.

Nutjob? Maybe. But he’s got a following.

-Joe

Yep, that’s why Lula is probably next on Robertson’s list.

Shooting down an airplane that is already about to crash is a waste of ammo… :frowning:

If he doesn’t, who does?

I guess I missed the part of Scripture where Jesus said to his disciples, “Uh, guys, you know the whole ‘love your neighbor as yourself’ shtick I told you about? One exception: You may kill the king of a foreign land when he might someday, possibly, become dangerous to his neighbors, or to you.”

Time for somebody to smack the Rev. Pat upside the head…

As one commentator put it WWJW (Who Would Jesus Whack?).

Yeah, no kidding, but Robertson doesn’t know that. I would be surprised if he knows much about politics in the MERCOSUL/MERCOSUR countries anyway. He might not even know who Luiz Inácio da Silva is (at least if you use that name).