Rock/pop songs with now-dated references

For that matter, does anyone even know what a “zone number” is?
Back then, before the Zip Code, letters (particularly to larger cities) would have a two-digit number between city and state, e.g., “Chicago 29 Illinois.”

Talking Heads “Life During wartime” mentions then cool clubs like Mudd Club and CBGB which have since closed.

Black Flag “TV Party” mentions shows like That’s Incredible, Quincy, Fridays and Hill Street Blues which are off the air although you could have re runs.

Everyone in Pawnee does, if Parks and Recreation can be believed.

Heh. Not in that job market, either. I don’t remember who sang it, but somebody released a “response song” that went:

Johnny, I’m in need of a paycheck
I wish I had a job to shove!

I think Paycheck’s song came out during the Carter administration.

(Yup, 1977.)

The Beat Goes On by Sonny and Cher. Damn near every verse line is a dated reference, or at least the attitude is dated.

raises hand I did a few months back, on several letters. For the first couple of months of being in my current rental, I gave the letters for the previous occupants to the owner and he gave them to the guys’ brother, who works for him. Letters adressed to occupants before those got a “return to sender, unknown in this address”, as eventually did those few letters which still arrived for the occupants just prior to me.

Oh, so it’s not “Stepped on a Pop-Tart”, then?

And while were on it, It’s always seemed to me that “livin’ on sponge cake” sounded like an awfully comfortable way to live.