Rock Songs Which Mention Comic Book Super Heroes...

Don’t forget
“Superman Can’t Walk” by Good Charlotte

And there’s a (new) song I hear that has the line as pasrt of it’s chorus:

Bring it on out for the world to see,
Be an X-Men to the tenth degree

There is of course the Tori Amos song where she mentions the Sandman.

And don’t forget “Sgt. Rock” by the Duke’s alter-ego, XTC.

The lyrics are more about a misanthropic robot monster than an “altruistic and electrically transistored super hero.”

One thing has bothered me, though. Black Sabbath’s Iron Man wears “heavy boots of lead.” Wouldn’t the dissimilar metals cause corrosion around his ankles??

Sadly, I’ve heard that song mentioned by Bouv, and if I remember right, the DJs on the song are called the X-ecutioners or something with an X in it. I think that’s what they mean by the X-Men reference.

Audiobottle

Herbie Mann’s “SuperMann.”

Not exactly rock, but it was this longtime jazz/funk flautist’s attempt to go pop. Herbie Mann had been around since the 1960s, the cat who first turned the flute into a jazz instrument, probably the inspiration for Ian Anderson, and he was also a pioneer of jazz/funk fusion, contemporaneous with Miles Davis and Bitches Brew. That he tried in 1979 to get a hit “disco” single with “SuperMann” was kind of a sad comedown for him.

Donovan sang in “Sunshine Superman”:

Superman and Green Lantern, they got
Nothing on me

Only song I ever heard that mentions Green Lantern.

Two more “Supermans”…

“Waitin’ for a Superman” by The Flaming Lips
and “Superman is Dead” by Our Lady Peace

Well, why did you think he was so pissed? I mean, he travels time for the future of mankind, but was turned to steel in the great magnetic field, and the government won’t even issue him some standard military boots of some sort? And then you add in the attitude of the civilian population, one member of which has been quoted, saying “We’ll just pass him there. Why should we even care?”

Don’t forget the Spider-Man: Rock Reflections of a Super Hero album. I found it at Border’s last year, and it’s surprisingly catchy for a 25 year-old album existing solely to sell a character.

The band Pain has a song called “One-Legged Girl” (it’s on the Midgets With Guns CD) with a verse that goes, in part:

It also mentions being “stronger than the Thing”, but I guess that’s a movie character.

Weezer’s “In the Garage” has the line

“I’ve got Kitty Pride, and Nightcrawler too,
waiting there for me yes I do”

I believe he’s talking about action figures he had as a kid

“Superman and Green Lantern ain’t got
a-nothing on me”

From Sunshine Superman by Donovan.

I’m surprised the thread went this far without this song being being mentioned. Okay, so it’s a folk song more or less.

Hmm, Jomo Mojo thought the same thing. Six posts above yours.

In 1975, Johnny Wakelin & the Kinshasa Band got to #21 on the U.S Hot 100 with Black Superman - “Muhammad Ali”. In 1989, Prince went to #1 with Batdance.

Queen - Bicycle Race mentions Superman as well. I’m thinking he gets the most mentions.

Eminem’s “My Name Is”

Clothes rip like the Incredible Hulk
I spit when I talk, f
** anything that walks*
King T in Dre’s “Some LA Ni**az”

Comin straight outta compton with a loose cannon
Smoke big green, call it Bruce Banner

the x-ecutioners used to be the x-men until a copywrite infringement lawsuit reared its ugly head.

and the thing is a fantastic 4 character, the big orange craggy guy that looks like ernest borgnine.

mighty maximino:

No, he is a comic book character as well - a member of Marvel Comics’ Fantastic Four.

Chaim Mattis Keller

Well, in that case, count him! :slight_smile:

No, it was off Venus and Mars–and it was the b-side of the “Venus and Mars” single.

Hi, capacitor and Jomo Mojo. “Sunshine Superman.” Sixth post from the top.

And this misheard lyrics page has the line “Super mellow Green Lantern ain’t got nothing on me” which has a fine 60s ring to it.