Rolling stops at stop signs.

What’s “wolfpacking”? First time I’ve heard this term.

When the first car at a stop sign goes, and the next one or two in line follow him through without stopping themselves.

I can’t stand seeing this done at traffic crossings. Drivers who think they know the lights well enough to roll forward over the section of road for pedestrians to cross over, only to sit through a red light with pedestrians walking all around them to get out of the way and across before their lights turn red :rolleyes:

Interesting. The only time I’ve heard the term wolfpack is in reference to highway driving, where drivers would clump up into little groups instead of spreading out evenly.

I never knew that had a name. Cool.

( I encounter this all the time…many folks think stopping behind the car actually at the stop sign counts as ‘stopping at the stop sign’.)

I’ve never heard of it applied to that, so we’re even. :slight_smile:

[slight hijack] Erratic drivers or not, when did this become such predominant driving behavior? I can’t stand it. When my dad taught me to drive, he told me to move as far left when making a left turn as I safely could, to give drivers behind me room to get around. These days I routinely see people driving Corollas (or whatever) making the big first-right-then-left sweeping turn, as if they’re driving a friggin’ 18-wheeler. And if they have to wait to make the turn, they wait blocking you as well. After all, making a 90-degree left turn onto a normal-sized street with a huge vehicle like a Corolla–you need to give yourself some room for that baby. Stop it, people! [/slight hijack]

Wolfpacking is rampant on the campus roads of the university I work at as is charging out from the stop sign or the parking lot driveway before the cross traffic has quite cleared the intersection/driveway.

I learned that one waits for the intersection/driveway cut to fully clear before pulling out, but apparently everybody else missed that day in driver’s ed.

It’s bad enough when the premature pullout aims for your rear quarter, but they pull out before your driver’s door has cleared them in some cases. Many times they honk, flip you off and blame you for “making them” brake to avoid collision with you.

Another related rant is the person turning out who only looks in one direction. As a pedestrian, I’ve had too many encounters to count with the right-turner-on-red who shoots a quick glance leftward before nailing the throttle and only knows I was to the right of him or her because I’ve screamed "Fuck you, asshole!"as he or she blew by me.

I understood this when I lived in a town that was full of farmers, used to driving combines, but people have very strange ideas about how to point and aim your average passenger vehicle.

zenith, I don’t cross in front of any car whose driver hasn’t made eye contact with me if I can help it. After years of walking downtown, I’d say I avoided getting creamed about once every three months. And I am an excellent pedestrian - I cross at corners, I wait for my walk lights, etc.

I wait for my walk lights ,too. It’s just that leftward-looking assholes slither rightward in the blink of an eye and I’ve got to decide in a split second whether to flee forward or jump back to the curb. You make eye contact with the people stopped for the light, but how can you predict whether the guy 4 carlengths back of the front row and seemingly slowing to a stop when the walk light lit up will stop behind the front rows or simultaneously jerk rightward and nail the gas?

Must I waste most of my walk light waiting for everyone to come to a complete stop?

As my father used to say when he saw someone pulling to the right before a left turn “I thought all the old farmers were dead.”
When asked he explained that a hay wagon had a very limited ability to turn so a farmer had to pull to the right before turning left to make sure they made the turn.
Makes no sense in a car, I agree.

When I was learning to drive in Massachusetts 35 years ago, we were taught it was Ok to follow one car through a stop sign if you both had stopped and there were no other cars.

While it was only 34 years ago for me in Maryland, each vehicle was required to stop. We pronounce it ve-HICK-el, so we could be wrong.

Were you also taught to pull over for an ambiLANCE? Just curious.

AM-bi-lance. Foreigners.

Were you taught this by a family member, or an actual accredited driving instructor? One of my biggest peeves is that there is no requirement for proper training for something as dangerous and pervasive as driving. I think you are telling us the truth about what you were taught here, but I don’t think whoever told you that was telling you the truth - how can you know what the situation will be when you reach the front of the line from a position behind other cars? There were no cars for the guy in front of you, but the situation can certainly change by the time you’ve reached the front of the line. Your instructor’s method sounds like a good way to get t-boned. If that was indeed the Massachusetts law 35 years ago, it was a bad, dangerous one. I hope it’s been fixed since then.

You mean kids don’t have to take driver’s ed anymore? I’ve only been driving for 19 years and I definitely had to take driver’s ed. And my school didn’t offer it, so I took it at the local Montgomery Ward’s.

Hmm, maybe I see your “proper training” point… :wink:

This isn’t exactly what the OP is asking, but in Sydney, every time I approach a stop sign, I make a quick calculation: “Am I more likely to be pulled over by a cop, or rear-ended by the boy racers behind me?”

Essentially, so few people come to a full stop at every stop sign, that drivers are surprised when it happens. I stop if I think it is safe to do so, but sometimes I’ve had that hotted up shitbox full of 20 year-olds behind me, and it’s inconceivable to them that I’d come to a complete stop, and they have to emergency brake when I do.

I never “blow through”, but sometimes I treat a stop sign as a give way (yield) sign. I don’t like it, but the arseholes on the road make things such that I have to. If I stopped to think about it, there’d be countless other driving situations where I infringe the rules because of other dirtbags on the road. For example, the number of yellow lights I go through compared to the number I stop at is artificially inflated towards the former due to that same car full of stupid, young, possibly-high-on-ice invincibles an inch off my bumper. Drive by the book in this town, and you WILL be in a wreck before too long.

Good question - I think driver’s ed was optional in my high school, but everyone took it because everyone wanted to drive (that was 23 years ago - I imagine things might have changed a bit since then). To get a driver’s license, though, there is no requirement for proper training here; all you have to do is pass a road test. Theoretically, if you are having the luckiest day of your life, you could pass your road test the first time you get in a car with no knowledge of driving at all. More realistically, what this means is that people learn enough to pass a road test, and it’s becoming more obvious every day (to me, anyway) that this is nowhere near good enough to produce good drivers, much less competent drivers.

TheLoadedDog, I’m starting to ask myself those questions, too. I am a good driver; I was well-trained with private lessons, and I made a decision 23 years ago that good habits were as easy to develop as bad habits, so I tried to make all my driving habits good habits. I am finding that I am the odd man out on the roads here, though, trying to drive properly. I don’t really know what to do about this; I know all the things other drivers want me to do, but they aren’t right, safe, or legal, and I don’t want to get tickets and fines; can’t afford them, and the demerit points for them go on my license.