Running for the exits at the national anthem - Ireland?

this is also still the case in thailand. took me a few seconds to figure why everybody was standing up.

I’d doubt there are any modern stadiums where everyone can’t stand in the concourse. Last baseball game I went to where a lightning storm came through, they *strongly *urged everyone under the stands. I’d be willing to bet there are concessions for that in the blueprints.

I’m 38 and it was never played in any cinema I was ever in. That said, if it was I certainly wouldn’t stay around for it. I hate it when it’s played in pubs at th end of the night if there is some music on. It’s becoming rarer but it always seemed like a load of bollocks AFAIC. Just an excuse for people to wallow in nationalism. I’m love my country and am quite proud of it but overt piblic displays just rub me up the wrong way.

Yes, anthem played here before movies and everyone expected to stand as a montage of the king’s life passes on the screen. I believe the king wrote the anthem, not sure.

It’s not actually illegal not to stand, but occasionally some poor unpatriotic shlub or priggish foreigner decides to make a point and not stand. The person is often set upon by the others like a pack of rabid dogs. The police will be called in, and the person, what’s left of him, hauled to the station. Eventually, the police will realize the act was not actually illegal, but they want to charge him with a crime SO bad, they’ll hold him while investigating every aspect of his life for something.

Best just to stand.

I think, where still played, it is a handy way of indicating the music is over and that’s final and it prepares people to be kicked out. :slight_smile:

CBC broadcasts all night (its programming ends at 1 AM and resumes at 5:30, in between which they have the hourly news and CBC Radio Overnight, featuring programming from public broadcasters around the world). But when programming resumes at 5:30, they play the national anthem followed by station identification.

given the number of massive pictures of the king and queen EVERYWHERE i thought it best to follow the crowd. Besides, it’s good manners.