Russia invades Ukraine {2022-02-24} (Part 1)

British (:slightly_smiling_face:) Defence Intelligence update:

If Kyiv is Russia’s “primary military objective” why are they dicking around on an additional two fronts? That’s just… well, stupid. That just divides their forces and makes achieving anything more difficult.

This is a merry muddle of dead Russian Major Generals.

Glad he took the time to give it a good wash and wax before the photo.

Excellent summary of the whole mess.


Remember, this is breaking news in MPSIMS. That political jab wasn’t appropriate in this thread. We have lots of other threads where it would be fine.

Mariupol has been utterly devastated. It is estimated that 90% of buildings have been damaged and they are burying bodies in roadside verges. Absolutely disgraceful by the Russians.

This again is why the US needs to intervene swiftly and decisively. Otherwise we’re looking at a drawn out years long humanitarian catastrophe that will harm, affect or kill millions more and is in no one’s interest - Russian, Ukrainian, or anyone else.

End this thing with one swift blow and everyone can get to post-war rebuilding.

It’s hard to rebuild when every city in the world is a smoking pile of radioactive rubble.

What is the one, swift blow you are envisioning? Does it involve crossing the Russia/Ukraine border with either troops or planes? I can (just) imagine Putin putting up with US/NATO forces engaging within Ukraine, but that probably doesn’t stop anything.

IMHO, a lot of airstrikes, especially of the close-air-support variety, would make a decisive difference. No ground troops involved, nor anything beyond Ukraine’s borders.

The Ukrainians are already doing 90% of the stuff needed to get a decisive win over Russia. They just need someone to chip in with the remaining 10% of the gap.

And I guess in your fantasy scenario Putin just goes “oh well, guess I lost” and the whole thing is over?

And before they do that, they’ll need to take out the air defense systems based in Russia. And engage with the Russian air force.

How’s that going to work out when NATO bombs are falling on Russian territory?

Putin is killing civilians in order to provoke just this NATO response. This is what he wants. To use the very good analogy in one of these threads, Putin is getting very embarrassed by getting his ass whooped by a one-armed man. What he wants is a bike gang to step in and beat him up so he can say “See! They are all against me and I never had a chance!”

Just one swift blow, and the troops will be home by Christmas…

It is both sides losing but ends up with Russia more likely wanting to find a way to staunch its blood loss. For Ukraine this is an existential fight. They lose and they no longer exist. Russia withdraws or stays and their circumstance is not much different. The first has some loss of face but can be successfully sold to his people as “mission accomplished” and few in country will argue. The second continues a war that continues to weaken Russia further and further with little gain to be seen on any horizon.

Memorial Day…

I am the very model of a Russian Major-General,
I’ve information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the Party Leaders, and I quote the fights historical,
From Poltava to Stalingrad, in order categorical.

I’m very well acquainted, too, with matters Communistical,
I understand all slogans, both old Lenin’s and Marxistical.
About the FSB I’m teeming with a lot of news…
With many cheerful facts about the Novichok in teacup brews!

I can toady up to Putin, and then back-stab all my enemies,
I siphon off arms profits, and I sell off all my MREs,
I excel in money laundering, and dabble in the stock market,
With cheerful charm and caviar, promotion is a certain bet!

In fact, when I know what is meant by ‘Kinzhal’ and by ‘TB2’
When I can tell at sight a Stinger missile from an NLAW too,
When such affairs as sorties and surprises I’m more wary at,
And when I know precisely what is meant by ‘commissariat’…

When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery,
When I know more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery,
In short, when I’ve a smattering of elemental strategy…
You’ll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee!

For my military knowledge, though I’m plucky and adventury
Has only been brought down until the middle of last century,
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a Russian Major-General!

March an army from Warsaw to Moscow. Granted that strategy hasn’t always worked but neither Napoleon nor Hitler was American.

< golf clap >